Looking for suggestions

P

Philip Inzani

I am thinking of fishing a large weirpool, problem is there is no access down to water level and so fishing has to be from an elevated position. The problem is going to be landing fish as the net will not reach. I have thought about using something similar to a sea anglers drop net but does anyone have any better ideas ?

R

Ray Walton

Hi Philip.. Don't even attempt to fish it! as there's no way you can put the fish back 'safely' anyway! Before you chuck a bait in, you need to work out where and how your going to land it, and put them back! If you cant, you shouldn't fish it. Go and fish downstream or you'll end up killing fish!

P

Philip Inzani

Ray, thanks for the response and I understand your concern. Releasing the fish is not an issue. Perhaps I should have explained a little more. I can get down to the water but I need to walk past a line of bushes/trees etc which I cannot do when playing a fish....there is no way I can get the rod over or round them. Due to the nature of the bank I also cannot fish back upstream into the pool from the downstream swims. The only way of fishing the pool is from the elevated position.

C

Carp Angler

A drop net would seem the obvious choice. How much flow is there where you are going to drop the net, they are very difficult to use one handed and it may move too far in the current.

How high is the elevated position? A friend of mine has just chopped down a Drennan carp pole and araldited a screw thread into the end, giving himself a 20' landing net handle. I should add that the pole was broken and given to him by the local tackle shop for whom he does the rod and reel repairs.

R

Ray Walton

Philip... just out of interest...What are you fishing for in the weir and on what river?

R

Ray Walton

Clever Carp boy!...5ft .2...eyes of blue! Are you the 'shy' famous carp man i know?

G

graham teece

Philip, Is it not possible to fish from a moored boat?

C

Carp Angler

Ray afraid not (fishing pun), I am not famous, thru choice, I'm the bloke that most "carp" anglers hate, coz' I never weigh or photo carp and I never boast about my catches. I stopped photoing fish when people questioned their size, ( I'm a big bloke and fish look small against me (I know you have the opposite problem(lol))). The 2 people that I fish with that know me well respect me for it, everyone else thinks I'm a prat.

P

Philip Inzani

Thanks for all the suggestions....Its a French river Ray so you won't know the weir pool! I am after Barble but I am bound to hook some Carp.
Unfortunatly boats are banned and a drop net is going to be difficult to handle...I tested out a home made one and the flow is a problem. I like the idea of the long landing net, I have an old pole but the problem could be it breaking when I lift it, especially with Carp...however maybe I could use a more robust pole and glue a thread to that - thanks.

A

Andrew Miller

I don't know how high up you are but I fished a weirpool which is about 12 to 15 feet high. I used one of those Leeda telescopic landing net handle and by lying down can quite easily land the fish. A steady upward movement (i.e. no outwardlifting of the net) and the fish is on the bank. When returning , a line is clipped on the net, the net lowered in to the water, give the fish a chnce to upright itself and then pulling the line on the back of the net gently tipped the fish into the water. This work well with chub and big bream who swim out of the net with no problem at all. Sorry if this sounds complicated but it work very well and easily. Not sure if it will work with barbel and carp?