What are your aims, goals and wishes

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

At the age of 62, having done most things in my angling life, I often ask myself: what do I need to do in the future? What other goals do I need to achieve?

I'm too old to worry my head about what many anglers call "Personal Bests" because I've realised the futility of such quests.

All I want for the rest of my life is first of all, to be able to go fishing when I feel like it, in clean un-polluted waters with good company and to be able to choose the method or style of fishing without hindrance from others.

I also wish for the right to fish for the rest of my life without being told by antis and others that it is wrong to fish.

Also, when I retire, I want to put a bit back into our glorious pastime by helping others.

What are your aims, ideals and goals in your fishing careers?

E

EC

I want not to have to travel for 40-50 minutes (one way) or more every time I go coarse fishing!

But I am moving in the next 12 months i hope1

J

jason fisher

To catch that perch i've found and to catch that tench i've found, i will be able to consign both these fish species to the same category as roach, my I'm not going to catch one bigger in britain so it's not worth trying just enjoy the ones that turn up, not that i don't enjoy them all already.
If on the other hand i can't catch em they will haunt me for the rest of my days.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Eddie C.

I forgot to mention that when I retire, I do not want to walk more than 100 yards to a darned good swim from where I live.

I truly hate travelling to go fishing.

J

jason fisher

so you'll be living in a house on stilts then what with global warming and all.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Only to enjoy myself peacefully and quietly when I go fishing, occasionally with good company.

J

jason fisher

so what you on about taking me fishing for if you want good company?

E

EC

Ron, dont start me!

River Severn 60+ miles one way

Dane 50 one way

Ribble 40 one way

Bridgewater or T/M canal 35 one way

Reasonable stillwater 40 one way

Gutted

But I do have some good sea fishing within 5 minutes!

But much prefer coarse!

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I still wanna have fun, but I am nearly always looking for some kind of PB and for Ron to say It's futile means that it in some way irritates him that there are people out here who fish for that reason and that he in some way has outgrown it. How sad is that!!!

Just do what pulls your string and enjoy.

R

Robert Woods 1

I want to live nearer a river (Dane or Severn) like you Eddie. I want to go fishing without Baz drinking my tea. But mainly want to enjoy river fishing again and just enjoy the countryside while I can.

B

Budgie Burgess

No great ambitions re fish to catch but would dearly love to get my work life and personal life back in line so I can start to really enjoy my fishing again.I still (well nearly always if the dam phone dosent ring all the time and I have been able to get my gear in some semblence of order)enjoy myself once Im out but getting out or to be more precise making the effort to get out is becoming harder.I have always been able to fish a lot since I left the army in 88 (did loads whilst in as well!)but since returning from France and having a new baby/house/normal job etc its all gone a bit pear shape.Ah well I suppose I shouldnt whine I had a good run for my money!Whilst my mates were stuck at home with babies and mortgages I was out fishing and guiding the world over.Now its my turn,DOH!!Be just nice to get a bit of balance back though.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I have one rule when i go fishing and thats dont blank. Doesnt always work. Burt as long as i can keep trying i will be happy.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I still have a lot of ambitions for my next few years fishing.
Like Ron I am not that interested in bettering PB's but rather concentrating of improving different species weights from certain venues.

Otherwise, I want to be left in peace (from antis and government intervention) to enjoy my fishing either when alone or with good company.

As the years roll by I find I am getting more and more interested in the wild life that is found on and around my local rivers and for this new season I am investing in a new camera to better enjoy some of the pictures that I hope to get.

Finally, having relocated the hwole family back to the UK I hope tobe able to get out fishing a lot more than over the last 10 years or so.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Now all you need to do Peter is relocate yourself!!

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
To just enjoy my fishing. I left the sometimes hectic world of match fishing a few years ago due to the prevelance of matches on carp puddles and to get back fishing natural waters like rivers. Now all I want is a peaceful day in the country side, either on my own or with a few close friends in search of my favourite fish, the Barbel. No more "presure" to catch or perform just a much more relaxed attitude watching the world go by and at the end of the day if you catch I regard it as a bonus. Roll on the 16th!

Dan.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I havn't got any personal bests to chase(I've never set any) but I just hope that I'm fit enough and keen enough to go fishing for a lot of years yet. As I'm now 67 yrs young the reaper beckons but I can still ignore him. Must admit though I don't go fishing as much as I used to, even if I can go every day if I wish.

P

Phil Hatton

I'm not huge on pb's but it is nice when I get one.
There are still a couple of species I've never had so that's something to look forward to.
When I was a kid I used to read angling books whenever I could, as a result there are certain venues that became fixed in my imagination and I have always wanted to fish them. Luckily I have managed to get on a couple but there are still some left. So that's something else.
Mostly I just want to carry on getting the same level of pleasure and satisfaction out of fishing that I always have.

W

Wolfman Woody

I want to see the Jubilee River (part of the Thames) become one of the finest bream and silver fish waters in this country. I want to see it develop with purpose built swim for everyone and good car parking and for anglers to WANT to get on there.

Other than that, a double Thames barbel wouldn't go amiss this summer/autumn (please) and a 20lb+ carp and if by some chance a 7lb chub comes my way then it will be all the richer for having met me. Also the chance to enjoy my new toy - a boat.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Murray,

I certainly does not irritate me at all that anglers should want to carry on beating their personal best. I went through that stage of my angling life in my 20s and boy, in a way it was a bit stressful I can tell you.

As you grow older, however, you realise that we go fishing for pleasure. And it's funny, but when you stop chasing those often impossible figures, that you find that you are catching them quite easily.

For example up to 1994, I had only ever taken one 2 pound roach in my life.

During 1995 and 1996, I caught over 30 of them, without really trying.

I just happened to find a couple of good waters that's all.

Some of the biggest fish I have caught in my life, came quite easily at the time. Some of the most memorable fish were actually quite small by comparison.

I have caught quite a few double figure barbel from the Trent. But the fish I will remember most, came from the Swale. It weighed 91/2 lbs and was taken in a very tight swim. That fish should have weighed over 10 lbs, it was longer than my biggest Trent barbel of 11lbs 6oz

But because it came from the Swale where any barbel over 6 lbs is a whopper, it will forever hold pride of place as my personal best for that species.

B

Budgie Burgess

Bloomin heck Ron you have (for me at least) re defined "Personal Best" it really isnt the biggest of any given species at all is it? It really is your own "personal best" defined by your own personal criteria.For a long time now I have had this strange nagging doubt in my own values.Several of my most memorable/enjoyable/most bragged about! captures of individual species have not always been my biggest! Nice one Ron.