Bass lures..

E

EC

I am going to do a bit of lure fishing for bass over the next few months for the first time!

What patterns would you recommend?

I am going to buy up to half a dozen lures but want proven fish catchers in the first instance!

Forget about brands and reputations, what has worked for you?

Cheers

EC

L

Les Clark

Eddie, Ive never caught a bass on a lure,but then again Ive never fished for bass!

E

EC

I see the lures advertised, but don't actually know anyone who has lure fished successfully for bass Les, hence the thread!

Strange though that a site like this, when you ask for advice, you usually get loads of it within half a day, and it is always spot on!

Maybe the relevant people on this type of fishing havent spotted the thread yet Les, or it could be that very few people actually do this type of fishing, hence the lack of!

cheers

EC

M

michael rouse

Ask the tackle shops where you are fishing what lures produce fish.

alan

Reaction score
just started it myself. dexter wedge seams to be the one that catches most, size depends on your rod.
ive caught bass on a shrimp rig meant for mackeral, but the were only shoalies.

E

EC

Cheers Alan!

Michael the reason for asking here is that the majority of the people here actually go fishing.

If it works they tell you!

If it doesn't work they tell you!

Some, not all, tackle shops want to just make a sale and sell!

I want to hear off the people who have actually used the kit, not sold it mate!

Cheers

EC

S

Stuart Bullard 3

How about trying the sea fishing forum ?????????

Anyway, Toby lures are considered very good. Bass tend to feed on pealer crabs or sand eels. So any lure that is long and thin (ie like a sand eel) should be OK, which is a bit like Toby lures.

E

EC

Thanks Stu, I placed it in General by mistake mate, maybe the kind moderator will move it.

M

michael rouse

I havnt caught a bass on a lure(yet) but have seen other anglers get takes on Storm Saltwater Chug bugs.He was doing a straight retrieve with the odd gentil jerk to get the takes.

Sam Morris

Reaction score
Sea bass? mackeral start putting two slits in either side starting about 1.5 iunches in from the tail, make the slits meet the the backbone and center of the fish will pull out/fall out and that gives the mackeral a flapping motion as it drags through the water.

J

jason fisher

i havent fished for bass with lures, prefer sandeel, but one bloke i know who does swears by the bomber long A jointed in mackerel pattern. it is a shallow diver and pretty big.

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
the rapala magnum in mackerel pattern is brilliant,i even had a gannet on one once.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I have success with a large all silver mepps type spinner i make myself. Also try Flying Condoms theres a guy here in Blackburn that makes them in just about every size and weight imaginable. there web site is <a href"http://www.spintec.co.uk/system/index.html">here</a>
If your into making them they supply all the parts.
Hope this helps.

C

C. Roger Bradbury

ask BASS (http://www.ukbass.com ) as they keep lists of what lures have worked well over past years.

Or read an Ed Schliffke book (or see his "Rock Hopping" videos) or Mike Ladle's book or video.

Part of it depends on where you are going to fish:- from the shore ? shallow rocky water ? deep water off a point ? and whether you want the excitement that a "Chug Bug Big Bug" (Storm lures) brings, with the added benefit of (usually) larger fish ... or the perhaps more consistent numbers you get with Rapala / Bomber long-A / Duel Aile / Storm "WildEye" swim shad