Net dipping

F

Fred Bonney

Having just arranged a deal for our pub club to acquire sole rights to fish a large pond,it has occured to us that we should perhaps take steps to ensure that no disease is brought onto the water from keep/landing nets.
Does anybody know if net dipping is an effective measure and also,what is the chemical used in the dip?
Thanks

alan strickland

Reaction score
The advice i last read was just to make sure you totally dry your nets out.
Check the EA site as this may of changed.

J

Jack the Lad

Agree with above. baking sunlight is best as the UV kills anything. The chemical most use is iodine but has to be changed every few days othewise its useless. since most clubs dont look after their tanks they're a waste of time.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I read somewhere that to be effective, the contents of the net dip should be changed twice a day. I can believe that too having smelt some god awful dips over the years, most of them probably infect more than disinfect.

Its perfectly true that sunshine will kill most, if not all, bugs but you have to rely on the users to do that.

W

Wolfman Woody

The chances of actually passing a disease by a net are very slim and even then that assumes that anglers fish other waters and all those waters carry diseases. I think a lot of it has been scaremongering by the press in the past and those commercials that have had problems is probably due to their own fault and neglect.

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks for all the info. gents, there are 30 of us, so trusting people to use the dip would be a problem on it's own, let alone the regular change of dip solution.
I think we'll ban the use of keepnets!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fred,

That seems to be a very drastic step to take especially when giving due regard to what has been noted above by some very knowledgable anglers, isn't it?

I would have thought it somewhat disingenuous as well to believe that even 30 anglers (who obviously want the use of this venue) could not be trusted to observe the requirement to use the net dips.

Just my opinion, of course, but I would urge you to reconsider.

F

Fred Bonney

Peter,your quite right,it was a bit of a tongue in cheek response.We discussed the issue last night in the pub and whilst I will not use a net,unless in a club match,there were those who felt,that our younger members, in particular like to look at their end of day catch.
We have agreed though, that no fish over 3lb,an arbitary weight,should be kept in a keepnet,even in matches and that nets should be of a minimum size.
We have at least,4 foot depths in the margins,so there is plenty of comfort in a net.
As far as dipping is concerned, I'm personally inclined to follow the comments above but, will discuss this further with my fellow club officials.

W

Wolfman Woody

Didn't realise it was you Fred. How are things then? Joining the mad I see, swinging from trees and so on.

Just a point - are there any pike, particularly small ones, in the pond?

Bryan asks why fish need to be kept in a keep net, but that is the reason Bryan. The number of times I have been putting back small roach only to have each and every one snaffled by a gluttonous young pike. Put them in a net, release them all at once and he may get one, but the rest will be away.

Our club has a rule, no fish larger than 3 lb in the net, no mixing carp and silver together (separate nets reqd.) and no more than 5 carp in a net.

Nets should be at least 10 foot long with a close knit area at the bottom for shade. Watch how people emtpy their nets too, no lifting the bottom and letting the fish slide down the net (unless this is all in the water). let them have a bit of fun, keep their fish in nets, but look out and first sign of trouble ban them except in matches (even then have the 5 carp rule before a weigh-in has to take place)

F

Fred Bonney

Thought I'd get in on the act,especially as the picture shows me as a much better looking individual!!
We are virgins to the water,but there doesn't appear to be any pike or perch, come to that.
So far we've had carp to 13.5 tench to 2.5 bream to 8lb.Lots of small rudd and tench(bars of soap)of about 6inches and some crafty biters that I can't hit, which make me think crucian.
Oh,and eels.

F

Fred Bonney

Just when I manage to get a deceny picture on,they've disapeared?

W

Wolfman Woody

Sounds like a great little water Fred, take good care of it.

Good luck.

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks Jeff,shows plenty of potential.
Oh,and by the way,they've suckered me into being first chairman of the club,so my earlier discussions with you, for insurance etc;have landed me in it! Cheers mate ;0)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fred,

I think that your club have chosen on some very good rules regarding the use of keepnets.
Congratulations as well on becoming the first chairman.

Good luck with your new venue which I hope will thrive in the new season.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry Fred, but you should have read the "Running a Club..." notes more thoroughly. Somewhere I do suggest that it's easier to get yourself involved in something than it is to get out of it.

J

John Howard

There is another problem that hasnt been widely publisiod If a lake pool etc is connected to flowing water ie stream river etc. Then permission has to be gained from the EA for use of chemicals. Iodine although an excellent disinfectant is one of the chemicals for which permission is needed.

Another requirement if net dips are used is copius quatities of fresh water to wash off the disinfectant. This must be changed regularly, a net should be soaked for at least 15 mins to be effective.

I did notice that it was keepnets that were mentioned the same applies to landing nets as well.

The most effective prevention is to ensure all nets are dryed BONE DRY, betwen trips.