Berkely Vanish Fluorocarbon

J

John Lane 2

Does anyone know anything about this product? Is it any good for hooklinks etc?
Any information would be appreciated.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I have used the 12Ib for floater fishing. I managed to catch when the guy next to me stuggled 9 -1 in my favour. But I have been informed that this is not a true flurocarbon but a coated line.

jp

Reaction score
I've used it and didn't like it.

You have to be very careful with knots, if you read the bumph that comes with it it says that it works best with one particular knot, truth is it don't seem to work with any others.

I believe that there are better products around John, I've been using Drennan Fluorocarbon Fly Leader in 8lb bs for hooklengths and found it works just fine with either a Grinner knot or a Palomar knot.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I forgot to metion that the other angler was not using Fluro. So any other brand would have performed as well.

F

Frothey

i have used it for leaders in the past, never had a problem with it but i knew too many that did....

J

John Lane 2

Many thanks for the responses. My reason for asking was that it's available for $9.99 [about ?5.50]for 250 yards of 14lb breaking strain on Amazon.com (this is the US site. You can't buy from the UK, you have to use Amazon.co.uk).
I'm going over there soon and was thinking of getting my sister to order me some to bring back along with some Power-Pro braid ($22.99 [about ?13.00]for 300yds 20lb breaking strain in moss green)
Is there any other brand of fluorocarbon that's likely to be available over there? I know the price of the stuff in the UK is horrendously more expensive than in the US.
Any advice would be appreciated.

J

John Lane 2

On a slightly different topic. Is there a braid available which is any good for float fishing? I'm thinking stick float/waggler in a river, probably aropund 6 - 8lb test (which should have the same diameter as 3lb mono)

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I use Fireline for my floater fishing for Carp. never thought of trying it for the river though. The only problem i can see is that it does not fall of the spool like mono so don't know if you will get proper control but worth a try.

J

John Lane 2

I was thinking of using it on a centrepin which (I think) should cause less problems with line release embedding etc.
Can I presume from Bryan's reply that Fireline floats?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Stick to Stren. It's the best and a division of Dupont, who actually invented Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF)

About USD 9 for 250 yards at most tackle shops in the States. I have just been given 5000 yards of this line in various strengths for nothing.

J

John Lane 2

Thanks Ron. I can get Stren for $9.97 from Amazon.com
I'd still like advice on the suitability of braid for float fishing. I'm sure I read something somewhere recommending a particular brand. maybe I'll post something on the "General" forum too

jp

Reaction score
A couple of people have posted previously (possibly on other forums) that they use Fireline for trotting.

Steven Palmer

Reaction score
I'm sure I've seen Berkeley Vanish Fluorocarbon on sale in Stapely Angling Centre?!

boyce pratt

Reaction score
I use flurocarbon all the time with the exception of rivers. a 4 turn grinner knot is all you need. I have caught off the top and the bottom when my mates ain't getting a knock. there are loads of different makes I use lureflash viper as it is more supple. but the new vanish is a lot better than the old one. you can get vanish postage free from www.devonangling.co.uk. you can also get cheap ironsilk from there. also just keep an eye on e-bay as somtimes there might be a bargin up for grabs.

J

jason fisher

i only use either fluorocarbon or braid for hooklengths but never tried it for mainline.