braid for float fishing

J

John Lane 2

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a particular brand of braid which is suitable for float fishing. I'm talking about stick float fishing in a river, with a centrepin for chub, barbel etc. So I guess given its low diameter something like 8lb test would be in order.
Anyone got any ideas?

B

Big Rik

I'd say that any floating or neutral braid would work.
I wouldn't go as light as 8lb though, probably 12 would be better.
8 would be too thin and present you with abrasion problems.
12 is still as thin as 4lb mono.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I reckon most braids float, certainly the older, more established ones, but whats the advantage over mono when you're float fishing?

I know some anglers use it with a closed face reel because you can step up the breaking strain whilst keeping a low diameter, essential for avoiding bedding in but other than that I personally don't see the need.

A

Ashe Hurst

Have used braid on the pin for several seasons, trotting for Chub or bouncing a few shot along the gravles.

found most braid floats well, only problem i have had is tangles on the odd occaision.
braid is very supple were as nylon has that stiffness.
Very positive indications on the braid too and when bouncing a few shot along the gravel, i can feel what is happening.

dont always use braid on the float, like to experiment a bit.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Graham, I am not sure there are many.I would have thought hook hold could be a problem given braid's lack of stretch especially in the small hook/big fish scenario.

One use is long trotting for winter grayling when the lack of stretch works to advantage to allow effective setting of the hook at long range.

I've never tried it myself though, I have to say.

C

Chris Bishop

I reckon most braids float, certainly the older, more established ones, but whats the advantage over mono when you're float fishing?........"

I can use 30 - 60lbs line and not break off on anything (see below...), or leave snagged baited rigs because the hooks I use will straighten before the braid/trace wire goes.

It floats reliably, which most monos don't in the kind of breaking strains I'd use as a piker unless you grease them, which attracts dirt and crap into the bail arm roller on your reel.

It also lasts forever as long as it doesn't get a nick, so it's actually cheaper in the long run than changing mono three or four times a season because it's gone all twisted and ribbony or you've knocked the stretch out of it.

Sunlight doesn't degrade it either.

It has zero stretch so I can often wind down and feel a fish on the end before nailing it.

I've bust off twice on a fish in four (guessing...) seasons, both times I'd have have bust on mono as the fish went round something abrasive.

The first time I was fishing with Rontroversial and one nailed a livie under the rod top and went round a bit of metal or something and I clamped down when it started grating, which was probably a mistake, the second time I was fishing over a bar and I assume there was something sharp on it.

I'm sure braid revolutionises trotting for anything once you get used to it.

When I used mono all the time, busting off on snags was a lot more frequent and I also lost a lot of fish where I hadn't nailed 'em because of stretch in the line.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Chris, I know about using braid for pike and the benefits are obvious but I'm not convinced you need it for general float fishing, chub, barbel etc. Having said that I'm not advocating not using it, not at all. Each to his own, and yes, it does have its advantages as you have pointed out, its just that I'm not convinced.

Just an opinion

K

keith reid

If you are using a center pin , doesn't it "bed in" and then fail to run off properly ?
In winter , nylon sheds most of its water , but I've noticed that braid seems to absorb more of it. Now when it freezes , this is bound to cause even more problems than using nylon...I might give braid a try , esp for long trotting (grayling). What do youse think ?