Ever caught a boot?

J

John Lock

Cartoons often show anglers catching a boot. Has anyone ever actually caught one? Ever caught anything else unusual or interesting? A body? Treasure?
I fished the pond at Little Lakeland caravan site (Wortwell, Norfolk) in May. The pond is only about an acre in size but it's been there for many years. During my week's stay I must have hooked about a dozen pieces of film. Apparently loads of used aerial reconnaissance film was dumped in the pond by the RAF at the end of WWII, some people have even caught entire rolls of the stuff. None of the recon pictures have survived though.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Hooked a boot in Ireland whilst borrowing my mates rod (he'd gone to the shops). Made the mistake of trying to swing it in. The rod snapped. Set up his spare. Took him an hour to notice.

The urn of someone who was cremated (a well known match angler who's name escapes me) was fetched up from near Kirkstead Bridge on the Witham.

W

Wolfman Woody

Never caught a boot by hooking it, but it never ceases to amaze me that after a flood just how many shoes are washed up.

You can never find a matching pair though.

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
Once when I was piking on the River Tone in Somerset,I had a run,struck and landed a john west kipper packet,another time fishing a local beach match,I landed the bottom of an old gym shoe,tried to weigh it in as a sole but they wouldn`t accept it.The chairman of a local club once hooked a condom in a match.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Tesco trolly from the canal while pluggung for Pike.
A Beach deck chair from Blackpool. Still have it upstairs. Also a 20ft tree trunck same venue
A trout landing net while flyfishing the River Hodder
A new fishing Umbrella on my local club pool.

and occasionally a fish.

On a diffrent note. Welcome back Graham hope you had a good holiday.

J

jason fisher

the frame of a fishing umbrella while lure fishing for pike last year, my mate cal's arse about 15 years back while casting a dead bait across the trent,
he also had a sweat shirt covered in small clear crayfish about 5mm long the same year.

a swan on boily, a lesser black backed gull on sardine.
a trent coal barge really must learn to cast straight there!

the three blokes down tides lines on the boat last year, the one on the end had a dog fish on but i felt the bite and and reeled the whole lot in.

couple of shopping trolleys in the sheffield canal and last but not least one bloke wearing a clown suit don't ask!

T

The Monk

had a few old boots in the bivvy too

(but don`t tell the wife)

E

EC

I caught a magnet once, but my mate who runs a fisheries business, once while netting a fishery, pulled up a chimp!

A

Ashe Hurst

had trainers, old keepnet, broly frame, shopping bags of EEERRRR, a ladies best friend (BBUUZZZZZ).
Once hooked a boot on a friends rod, cast back out. when he came back from the shop and reeld in should have seen his face.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

On the Trent I have caught several condoms, a pair of underpants and rather nasty floater about 8 inces long.

In SA a mate of mine caught a hand - a human hand on the lower reaches of the Crocodile River,

We reckoned it had been spewed up by a Croc. He took it to a local cop shop, gave his name yet never heard another thing about the incident.

T

The Monk

I was fly fishing once and on the backcast hooked someones Ear?

whats this Ear I said (hee hee)

R

Richard Huggett 1

Out on a charter boat once, doing well we were, had several big congers and a few nice cod, I'd had a 19lb pollack, when I hooked into something big. Spelt with a capital B. Pulled my 30lb class rod into a frightening bend, line streaming off the reel...skipper cleared lines, decks and people out of the way, got the big gaff ready whilst I was doing my best to fight this whatever it was. Bets were made ...skate ? BIG conger ? Eventually something big and black appeared a few yards off the transom, the skipper reached over the decks and neatly gaffed...a wheelie bin.