Keeping the mice out

W

Wolfman Woody

Having had a Fox chair nobbled by a mouse in the garage last winter and I am determined for it not to happen again!

One entrance is a normal door and that was mouse-proof, guaranteed!

The main door is the typical Henderson up-and-over door with huge gaps that an aligator could get through. I've put some blocks now on the inside either side of the door. Also today, I found a 7 foot long brush style draft excluder (?13) and I've pop-rivetted that to the bottom of the door.

No guarantees, but that mouse will have to be damned clever to get in now. He's had enough of my tackle in the past - NO MORE!

Graham - take note! Bedchairs are even dearer!

M

mel Crighton

get a nice big pussy that likes mikeys, and call it "taker" HEHE

R

Richard Huggett 1

I never keep my tackle in the garage now after some thieving little crackhead swiped the lot a couple of years back.

Cheeky...check your insurance policy carefully, I thought my tackle would be covered in the garage, but it wasn't.

All my gear now lives in the spare bedroom...nearest mouse is the one next to my keyboard!!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If you keep it in the garage suspend the tackle from the rafters or wall as long as there is nothing they climb. Your gear is gaureented to be mouse and damp free.
Yhe cats a bad idea if like me you get back from a session and just dump your gear down to sort the next day. The cat will deffinetly use the waterprofs as a scratching/plucking post. I should know better but still go through a couple of pairs a year.

T

The Monk

Get a mouse from the pet shop, cut off its arms and legs, poke its eyes out with a red hot paperclip, boil it in oil and peel off its skin and leave it hanging near your bedchair with a warning sign around its neck, Bedchair Nibbler, "Don`t let this happen to you"

W

Wolfman Woody

I take your point Richard and the costly stuff is kept in the bedroom. Bit of a nuisance every night having to shift it to get into bed, but that's one of the disadavvantages of being a tackle tart. And the insurance policy does cover outbuildings, thank goodness.

As for the stuff in the garage, in order for any tea leaves to knick it they have to cross the "killing fields"! There's three high powered sodium searchlighs that triggered by PIDs. Cameras to record the interlopers, pungie sticks linked to pressure pads, two automatic machine gun nests with heat sensing sights and a Claymore mine with tripwire by the garage door in case they get that far. The door has two chub locks and a combination padlock, is backed by ?" plate steel and a 1" thick Kevlar pad that will stop a 20mm AP round. We take our crime seriously around here.

I think Monk's suggestion is a bit over the top though. :eek:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff,

How come then with all this protection, namely the "killing fields," that the damn mouse got in to start with :-0

Before I purloined a room in the house that is, and will forever be, the Tackle Room I used to store my kit as Bryan suggestes, suspended from the rafters of the garage.

PS mice just LOVE Keepnets and Landing Nets!

F

Frothey

bloody 'ell jeff, thought you lived in a mice, sorry nice, area

P

Paul Christie 2

Had the mickey taken by a mouse a good few years ago too. He hybernated in a seat box that I was using to store bits and pieces. The smell of p*ss never seems to go!

Even with the best defences, you will have the door open at some stage and I am sure mine got in whilst I had the garage door open, sorting out my gear.

I am now extra vigilant, come the end of Autumn, when they are seeking their winter refuge. Once into winter, you shouldn't have a problem with them.

M

mel Crighton

If you are that security concious then where is the Site Vault you know then steel boxes used on building sites, ask around there must be someone in the know that can secure one for you know what I mean football and Beer money.

M

mel Crighton

i am not aiding and abetting just suggesting..........but if he wants to bend it a bit ............I retain my right to silence...

J

jason fisher

you will have to make the room completely airtigh or the little buggers will get in some how.
if you think you have an airtight room sleep in it overnight you'll know if it is or not in the morning.

W

Wolfman Woody

"How come then with all this protection, namely the "killing fields," that the damn mouse got in to start with" - Easy Peter, they're so small they sneak under the wires, so light they don't trigger the pressure pads and they heat they give off won't set off the PIDs. They're crafty, they've evolved since angling was invented to escape all of these traps just so they can cuddle up in your padded chairs, beds, nets and seats.

The old knotted string keepnets and landing nets were the biggest attraction for mice. The smell of them though....ahhhh! It's the one thing I miss that has changed in the past 50 years. The new nets just don't have that smell, what was it, linseed oil perhaps?