Begginer

paul burn

Reaction score
hello all.
im off to spain in a month and i hate lying about on the beach so i want to do a litle beach fishing with my son while we are there. i dont have a huge budget and i was looking at getting a couple of ron thompson superior telescopic rods 9ft (maybe a smaller one for the boy) and an okuma exide 140 reel.. as far as i can see a cheap all round rod and reel will this set up be ok for two complete begginners..who are both looking forward to the begginning of a new pastime...any help would be most appreciated as well as any info about fishing off the coast of Costa blanca

thanks all

J

jason fisher

yes they'd do fine, nick some bread from the hotel breakfast bar,
go sit on some rocks,
use a small float some thing like a drennan bobber the biggest one or the smallest drennan pike bung and about a 12 hook.

there's a good chance that you will catch mullet, sardines, and a small stripey bright coloured fish that looks like a perch.

i had a great time when i was about 14 with a cane stick with an eye whipped on the end, some doubled cotton small cork pike bung and a hook that size to nylon tied to the end of the cotton fishing bread in ibiza.

i gave the cane to another young lad from my hotel as i left the rocks on my last day and he'd had a fish in about 10 minutes too.

welcome to fishing magic and good luck.

M

michael rouse

I was going to take my fly rod to France with me this summer to have a go off the rocks but there are always people swimming or walking behind you.Its a shame because when i went diving i saw so many fish around the rocks.

paul burn

Reaction score
Cheers for that gonna have to do some searching for what fish i can eat ....any advice on good books or web address to find out