Slugs

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
HI all hope you can help. I rember a programe on DH&L with the Chub Study Group and one of there members used the Slug as bait and even breed them. What they did not say was how you can keep them as i obviously don't want a house full of them if they escape.

Any advice appreciated.

F

Fred Bonney

Just grow some hosta in your garden,the slugs will munch away for as long as they last ;0)

F

Fred Bonney

On a more serious note,they like dank dark & damp conditions,so I would have thought,a wooden box with mould in the bottom,should be good enough.
Collected from your garden they will feed on soft leaves,like lettuce,cabbage and of course hosta,seedlings and strawberrys also take a pounding!
I am sure you will have a happy plump breeders before too long,they are hermaphradites,but,they lay eggs that live through winter and hatch in the spring.

J

jason fisher

what you need to breed em for just walk round my garden there's hundreds of the bluddi things.

don't seem to have any problems finding em by the rivers if i want to try one either, look in the sheltered slightly damp areas.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Its just by the river i can only find the Big Brown ones not the prefered Black ones. I don't have a garden to raid Fred.

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Any moist damp verge then Bryan, you cant fail.

And I disagree about the brown ones, I have had many chub on them. The "plop" normally creates an instant hit if they are close by...

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I seem to remember a policeman called Charles Landells used to be the slug King - maybe still is - he kept slugs in a fishtank to maintain a supply through droughts/cold weather. I think he fed them on lettuce routinely , then fattened up the hookers on melon, but the article was a very long time ago! (Late 70's?)
You'll be needing a lid!!!!! A big slice of prspex or MDF with some air-holes should do it, you might want to put bands of copper or sharp things that slugs don't like crawling across round the holes to fence them in.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And in the Fens there is thousands of them at the moment.

jp

Reaction score
Charlie is still around and still slugging at times, he moved to Ringwood quite some time ago Alan.

J

John Hepworth

That's Charlie alright.Now President of the CSG
Interesting that when Charlie first approached the then NASG's about setting up a chub group he was told they would like to see a roach group set up first.
Thirty odd years on and I see that Ron has set away a roach club

Although a Tory,(he puts Alf Garnett to shame) I have a soft spot for Charlie, he still calls me 'young man'

J

John Hepworth

Just heard on the BBC that slugs, snails, caterpillars etc, are to be protected under the new and improved cruelty to animals act, with fines up to ?20,000.
Are these people for real?

A local father and son act can make ?1000 from a night snatching sea trout and salmon and receive only a ?200 fine,and they inflict horrendous damage to the fish.

Old Charlie, and even Trevor S, (spawny) had better watch their backs.

J

John Hepworth

I have just e-mailed my MP on this issue, which if left unchallanged could have far reaching affects on angling. The antis wont need to bother trying to get angling banned as most will not be able to fish in their usual manner.

Suggest we all contact our local MP as it could be too late.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
That's gardening and agriculture finished, then. This sounds like either a bored/lax researcher on a no-news day, or an act intended to protect things against cruelty by INTENT;- bisect a zillion slugs with a plough, with intent to grow a crop: no crime. Put a slug on a hot skillet to watch it writhe and die: crime. Hook a slug with intent to catch a fish -no crime in respect of the slug. Demonstrate fish welfare precautions as proof of no ill-intent to fish beyond the inconvenience if capture- no crime.I hope.Is there a lawyer in the forum?

(Last person to get a "Yes" to that question was Julius Caesar. I hope that isn't an omen...)

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Next they'll be having vegetable rights.

No more organic foods whatsoever.

What's going to happen to cricket, football, walking on grass, cutting the lawn, eating, drinking beer - I could go on.

I read a report recently the the animal rights mob have been putting ground glass into sausage meat!!!

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
Oh dear John!
I must admit that's news to me, and as you say, it could "somewhat curtail" my summer chub-stalking!! Presumably maggots and worms will be covered by the same regs (maggots are essentially the "caterpillar" stage of a fly)... yeah, that'll be popular with anglers too. What about slug pellet and salt manufacturers? Don't suppose they'd be too chuffed either. Look forward to seeing the Chelsea flower show next year... manky flowers with huge holes in the leaves and the price of cabbages etc will go through the roof. Still, we must protect those cuddly slugs eh?
Come to think of it, lets protect ALL organisms... The smallpox virus and the micro-organism responsible for the plague. They are obviously too small and quiet to look after themselves. Ye Gods!
As to the initial question... breeding slugs is a messy business and a slimy fishtank is no fun at all. Collecting a small number a few days before a trip and feeding them up on melon is definitely the way forward... at the moment anyway.
Spawny

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everybody. I wonder if i will need a special licence now to keep them.

Update. I have a small wormery going in a old plastic storage box with drainage holes. I placed a few slugs about 12 in there when i found them 2 weeks ago they seem to be doing well no fatalities yet.

On a serious note i have checked the BBC website and found no mention of this. Were did you se hear this John.