Shrewsbury - River Severn - Help needed

Tight Lines

Reaction score
I am reletivley new at to river fishing. I am using a 6x4 waggler float, 2lb line and number 18's using white or red maggies. Tossing a few loose in as ground bait and trotting through the swim. I have spent in excess of 14 hours there since last wednesday and have nothing to show for my endeavours. I know there are fish there I can see them breaking at dusk. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
If you are fishing in Shrewsbury itself the river is usually full of fish, mostly dace and chub with the occasional barbel.

I would suggest that 2lb is a wee bit light and I think 3lb is probably a better option with a 2.7 hook link. The other thing is depth. It can go as deep as 10ft along there and it varies too so good depth plumbing is essential. Run the float through with a heavy shot on the hook and when it drags under you know you're at the right depth.

The best tool for the job is a 15 to 18ft rod with a bolo float but its not essential. The other thing is feeding, you must feed every run down, the amount varies on the response you get but start with a dozen. The secret of successful river fishing is feeding and its something that has to be learnt, without it you will struggle.

They run some big matches along that stretch, at least two a week (the Sabrina opens) and some of the best river anglers in the country fish them. Go along and watch a matchman (Dave Harrel is a regular) and you will learn an awful lot from just watching. River fishing is an art that is well worth learning and will bring you years of enjoyment, good luck.