Opening the season.

W

Wolfman Woody

Nice one Skive! Bit disappointing though, Graham having the two-bob-bits and all.

I take it the "Dave" was Mr Chilton?

Good fish too for Rik, but here's a question: Why do many barbel suffer having their tails cut off at the top in a straight (or almost) line?

One of our Thames locals said that a boat's propellor must have caught 'Topper' (our local topless-tailed monster who last weight 9lb), but you don't have boats on the Dove, do you? I remember Ray Walton telling me of a bug or parasite of some sort that eats along the radials of the fins. Anyone else heard of this?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It was my mate Dave Colclough Jeff.

I've seen quite a few barbel on different rivers with that top lobe missing. I can't believe some parasite, human or otherwise, could be doing that. But I can't offer any other explanation.

Must run.

J

jason fisher

i'd buy some new trainers to help with them runs graham.
there's nowt worse than coming down with a dose of the leons when you're miles from anywhere suitable.it's a sod to get the teeth marks out of the dash board from the drive home.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I opened the coarse fishing season in classic style.

Blow all on the morning of the 16th.

Then on the morning of the 17th I had 3 tench and 2 dirty great slabs, all on bunches of maggots. The best tench scaled 6lbs 2oz which pleased me as it was a wild fish taken from a wild area of the Old Course of the Nene, which has probably never seen an angler in 20 years.

Truly wild fish is what I seek these days.

W

Wolfman Woody

There is an age-old remedy for your problem Graham - charcoal. Not tasty, but it does seem to stiffen things up a little.

They used it in Vietnam where the popular saying was "Happiness is a dry fart!"

R

Richard Drayson

So Rik, what was the jacket that was supposed to be 100% waterproof but wasn't?

kieth Reynoldson

Reaction score
Dont upset the staff at the salt box you never know what they might put in your tea.well done with the fish.

A

Andy Davis

No fishing for me yet...going out next week, not sure where yet !

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done Skive!

I hope that the rest of the season now lives up to such a lovely opening day.

Rik, how about a member's "review" on that jacket?

Colin Worthy

Reaction score
liked the story makes me itiching to get out there taken 3 days off this week now look at the weather just my luck hope to get some chub on friday