( OT ) My Web Site

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i've been experimenting with building my own web site,making
mistakes and learning along the way,now its still a work in progress and parts aint quite finnished yet and im adding more content as i finnish it , i was just wondering what others think of my efforts so far , and get a
bit of feed back , and some more
suggestions on how i can make it better.please take a look.

LOOK HERE

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The ringtone pop up is a pain in the arse .......I got that as soon as I got on to your site so I came out of it without looking any further .......

chavender

Reaction score
sorry about that its the neccacery evil of having a free hosted site,when i view it my
pop up stopper takes care of all the popups
,i've just turned it of to check it out.and
i can see what you mean.all i can suggest is maybe using a popup stopper like the googgle bar or msn bar (free)these do a decent job of stopping popups.i have used
these . but im testing a betta version of the xp service patch upgrade sp2 which has
a built in popup stopper and firewall its been running well for the last 4 months when its available id recomend it.

M

mel Crighton

Chavender,

Had a look , impressive as a first attempt, what system are you running? I run windows XP PRO with Microsot Publisher, it is a good system and takes care of most problems, my Son installed it for me and showed me how it works but still learning,

but a very good effort.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Nothing lines up this could be because iam on a Mac not PC you need to check the results in a few diffrent set ups.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chavender,
Good luck in your venture, it can't be easy, but all credit to you for having a go.

S

Shrek

Chavender,

Looks good. One really picky point though, you only spell KNOTS with one T, not two (it's one of the headings under your ARTICLES section).

Very good though. Do you write the code, or use a Web Design Tool? If so, which one?

chavender

Reaction score
i'l sort out the knot thing.some of the problems arise from the proprioty sytem that angelfire (the host) uses you can either use the page template/editer or a html one.i used the template system as i dont have much experience using html coding
yet,and the editing is done online,i also
use a program called web page maker which i
used to make the fun page as it let me add
mixed content (flash ,gif ,jpg and sound)i
may use this more later ,i've had a suggestion to use nested tables for the writing ect so it lines up better when its
viewed in different aspec ratio's
some of the web tools i used where from a different host as they where better than
angelfires plus i tried to get a news feed
from this site (see below) couldn't get it to work so i tried another ,that don't work
either may have to manualy enter the news in future.
thanks for all your encouraging comments.

MarT

Reaction score
Hi Chavender..
looking good so far, coming on well...did notice a few spelling mistakes on your downloads page...'password' and the 'screensavers' links.
Other than that...it looks good.
Mart.

D

Deck Monkey

The ads are hugely irritating. there are no-ad free hosts out there - google for them or head to listing pages such as this. Some examples of hosts are Eco Hosts and Brinkster. Don't be scared by free ASP hosts - ASp is a scripting technique that I use but it still uses HTML so you can host an ordinary HTML page there.

This is going to sound harsh, but as a professional in the IT business and someone who has worked on many professional web portals and sites, I'll list a few criticisms. DON'T take them personally, but I have been knocking around on t'internet and writing web sites for 10 years (started by using vi on Unix! that was a nightmare) so I know what makes a good site.

These comments apply only to the home page as I haven't had a chance to look at the others, but people will base their opinion of a site on the first page they see, so get this right and more than half the battle is won.

Firstly, get rid of the animated graphics. Most people are irritated by them.

The word HOME is obstructed by the graphic - improve the spacing.

Try and make sure all graphics are jpg format where possible. The quality is higher but the file size is lower making them a winner all round.

Your introduction should not be bullet pointed and should not start until below the graphic otherwise it is quite hard to read. Also do not use block capitals.

avoid using characters like @ in normal text - it smacks of teenage txt msging and most people find it annoying.

Counters can be a bit tacky - visitors aren't really interested in how many you've had. People get counters so they can see how many visitors have come to their pages so I would get one which provides this functionality for you without being visible. After all, its a graphic which takes extra time to download.

Unfortunately, some of the techniques you have used tend to make the site look like something constructed by a teenager, but you can change that dramatically with very little effort and have a site that looks good and works well. Just because you can have flashing/scrolloing text, animated graphics etc etc etc doesn't mean you have to use them. The best sites are often very minimal and clean. Remember, if your visitor can't read it clearly, they won't bother at all.

Experiment with different fonts, font sizes and weights. Stick to black text unless you are using a dark background (I've seen bright yellow text on light backgrounds which is unreadable). Your text must be clear and readable. This is the most basic key to writing a good site.

Like I said, this is constructive criticism from an IT professional. Whether you choose to take it or not is of course your perogative, but follow these guidelines and you'll be looking at a good first site.

One more thing - make sure you keep it up to date if you want return visits! Sounds obvious but its the biggest mistake made by those new to writing web pages.

Good luck and keep trying. No-one writes the perfect page first time so just keep at it until its right and you'll have learnt a bit and you'll get a sense of satisfaction.

chavender

Reaction score
Deck Monkey ,hi thanks for your advice and constructive criticism as this is what i needed as i don't see the wood for the trees if you know what i mean,i look at it
and it looks ok (as it would as i did it)so
to have others see it and see the things i
dont notice helps me improve it, after all
its how the visiter views it that counts.i
will try different layouts for my home page
till i find one thats right , i've changed
the text colour and i'l try and get the way
the words are layed out done better,keeping
it updated isnt a problem as im unemployed
and have plenty of free time which is one of the reasons i decided to build a site as i could do it as a hobby and learn some new skills ,finding new content and doing my own research and writing articles ect i
can add to it at my own pace with angelfire
i get 20 meg of web space which will keep me buisy for a while then when i've got it
how i want it i may buy a domain name and
redue it and make better improvents as i'l
have more scope and freedom to use better techniques ect.

D

Deck Monkey

Good skills mate. Always good to learn new stuff. Keep up the good work!

J

John Hepworth

There are a few free 'add free' servers in the States. I used to exchange e-mails with a guy who was into building 'god sqaud' sites, if I can find the details I will post then on here.
I am currentlu using supanames.co.ok
costs about ?14/year, but you have to take it for two years. There is alo loads of free web design software about, plus copies from friends. Just been given Office 2003 Pro and Deamweaver MX, problem is no manuals etc
Just updated my DCAC site as when I first built it, it looked OK on my old PC but when viewed on a new laptop the club bought for me all the dispalw was pushed up to he LH top corner.Again, any feedback on http://www.durhamanglers.co.uk/Home-page.htm
would be appreciated
Its a long address but I cant get rid of the old home page - any suggestions?

D

Deck Monkey

John

Manuals for Office and Dreamweaver not really required - you can usually find guides out on t'internet that are more helpful. As for the home page bit - do you mean you want just http://www.durhamanglers.co.uk to go to the page? If so, rename the page as index.htm or .html (no difference) as browsers automatically search for a file named index be it html, asp, php or whatever.

Look here on my (under-developed!) site. The address bar has no page name in it but the page is called index.asp.

Hope this helps. Will take a look at the site when I get a chance.

J

John Hepworth

DC, tried re naming the page but it still comes up in the same old format if the extension is not added, no hardship though really.
I'm not the type that can sit in front of screen reading text all day, would rather do it whilst watching the TV soaps. Will get there in the end though, not as though I have to do that strange avctivity 'WORK' any more

J

John Hepworth

Just in the middle of taking 40 years worth of accumulated TV and Video servicing data to the local skip. Sad but it has to be done to make room in the garage, its a health risk just trying to find a way through at the minute.

W

Wolfman Woody

I'm going to put a downer on this, but why do people want to create a website in their own name? Is it the modern day cheapskate equivalent of a personal number plate? I see it goes on a lot in the USA, but surely we Brits are above all of this self-inflationary egoism (unless your name is John Wright).

Chavender, old son, you look a decent chap, but I shan't be visiting your page again (the cacophony of noise that passes off as music on your "funnies" page puts me right off anyway). Wouldn't you be better off writing some local district news up for a website about your town or the characters that came from it, like the Ilkeston Giant?

Sorry, but marks out of ten = -1

J

John Hepworth

Couldn't find the links to the servers in the States, but this is the guy I mentioned earlier.

bobfarley.com

Modern day equivalent to a train spotter mi thinks

D

Deck Monkey

John

Prbably best then to delete all files on your webserver and only re-upload the ones you need. This way, by naming your home page index.html you should be OK.

Sounds obvious, but people do not realise that you need to perform simple house-keeping on your files every time you change something. Never leave anything that the site doesn't need as it takes up space and can cause you trouble as John seems to be finding.

Cheeky - not always the case. Mt site actually has photo galleries on it of stuff I've been shooting (if you know where to find them! and thats shooting with the camera, not some sicko show of dead animals) but was originally bought because it was going to be developed as a site for amateur DJ's. I just never got round to it ;-)

The problem wiht most sites these days is that people have them for the sake of it without haviong any kind of useful resource. Too many people say "Hello, my name is Norbert and I like trains" and thats it. Well, if you like trains write something about them - pehaps the history of a train or track that interests you or something. Otherwise, your page is nothing more than wasted disk space which would be deleted.

P.S. If you want to see the photos I have so far, all landscape and wildlife (more to be added from me hols) you can find them here. Be warned though - some of the large size nature type photos are about 800k, so best viewed with broadband!!