Want a say and take a lead on your River

A

Ashe Hurst

I know i have mentioned this some time back, But things are moving closer with the formation of a new THAMES 21 adopt a river group. This one will be on the River Darent at Dartford in Kent.

It will cover tidal and non tidal stretches. the 2003 EA catchment survey reported extremley surprising numbers and species of fish. And its Free.

This will give anglers a Chance to take on a very pro-active roll with the River Clean up programme, Conservation and Habitat restoration and creation.

assistance from the local council. EA and Management support and funding assistance support from THAMES 21.

The Adopt a River group I co-ordinate has exeeded all expectations in a year, funds have come in and been spent on practical projects with more funds on their way.

The EA have been great and now the local council are on the anglers side.

we have even won several Environment Awards due to the vast task that our Anglers and volunteers have undertaken.

we need more anglers to take on these projects and show others that we are responsible and do care for our fish stocks and wildlife, that we do understand that there is a minority of licence dodgers and out of season anglers and that us anglers are weeding them out or working with those who know no different.

Thames 21 need Anglers as volunteers, CACG need another Angling based volunteer group on our doorstep before dogooders and Antis get involved and theres plenty of them over here, so lets keep them out.

Its not all about fishing, but if we can become the gaurdians with a sense of ownership and take on these responsibilities, then it will make us stronger.

Its worked for CACG and now we are fishing stretches without snagging every few seconds. the banks are cleaner and debris have been cleared.

This dont happen over night, you need to be consistant and find working relationships with other orgs, rather than alienate yourselfs. Also get the locals involved with what you do.

check out
www.thames21.org.uk

or mail me

A

Ashe Hurst

A meeting was held in Dartford on Thursday evening to set up a new Adopt a River Group.

No one showed, not even two local businesses who would provide ???.

So Anglers, heres your chance to clean & maintain a chalk stream and a tidal stretch.

Mail me if you want in on the action before the tree hugging hippies get in.

A

Ashe Hurst

A meeting was held in Dartford on Thursday evening to set up a new Adopt a River Group.

No one showed, not even two local businesses who would provide ???.

So Anglers, heres your chance to clean & maintain a chalk stream and a tidal stretch.

Mail me if you want in on the action before the tree hugging hippies get in.

A

Ashe Hurst

Anyone in the Dartford area this weekend?
Its the Dartford festival, Central Park. I should have small display set up with River Clean pics and info on the new group.

there is money comming into some local councils, Bexley for example 1.5 million to be spent on the Cray and we CACG are advising and leading where it should be spent. Ok we wont get things all our way but we have pointed out to the council and its advisors what concerns realy do need addressing and they agree too.

So as Anglers we can and have make a difference and working in the wright way we can influence local councils/government.

If a new group is formed on the River Darent in next door Dartford then as & when theses things come up again im sure by playing your cards wright Anglers will be seen and listend too.

Also there is interest in forming yet another group in Bromley on the Cray, Orpington, St Mary Cray & St Paul Cray.
This must be Angling based to link in with CACG.

The river is small here but still suffers as much as any other lower stretch, some good roving fro Dace, Chub and small bits, several lakes & pitts too.

I can advise and direct groups to funding bids, contacts & share my equipment too.

Give me a shout.

A

Ashe Hurst

RE Dartford Festival.

Due to an opperational error by another organisation, I will not be displaying the info stand for the New Adopot a River group at Dartford.

This has been planned since Nov 2003 and to drop me init 3 days B4 has P****d me off a bit.

Anyway, any interested people give me a call.