rod licences

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
Yet again ,the price of our rod licences has increased,yet,when I went to my local river to do some lure fishing,there was a nice path cut for the walkers etc,but the riverbank was ten feet deep in nettles for as far as i could see.People have been fishing the town stretches of the river through the close season.So there is no work done to provide access for anglers and no EA bailiffs.Where does our money go?????

J

John Hepworth

Sadly the EA rod licence does not give permission to fish enywhere, just to be able to use up to two rods where permission IS granted.

J

John Hepworth

Sorry, posted on wrong thread - should have been Private Rivers. Silly old sod. Just put it down to having lost my spec's

As for where the licence money goes? The Agency magazine CATCH will tell you all you want to know, but bank clearance is not part of their remit.
Personally I think we get a good deal for what we pay, and unlike other taxes, because that's what it is, the full amount of what we pay goes back into fisheries work.

W

Wolfman Woody

It goes on the upkeep and maintenance of the fisheries, the bit that's in the water and even then doesn't cover bank repair.

It could include silt/weed clearance and the building of structures, riffles and the like, if it will benefit the fish, but not otherwise. It also covers the stocking and research into fish habitat. However, most of the money is spent on new cars for the nobs at the top.

No, no, I didn't say that!!! Please, not the rubber hosepipe again!

J

John Hepworth

The EA must have been short changed up here CM when it comes to posh cars, I almost feel sorry for them when I see some of the old bangers they drive about in.

W

Wolfman Woody

Don't look at the Fishery boy's cars. They're as poor as church mice. It's the "politicos" down in Bristol that have the flash ones - It's what I'm told.

This is a little tongue-in-cheek because I do realise that to get quality staff these days, you have to offer a package and that will include a car if there's travelling involved. With Fisheries work, there's always travelling involved. So I don't begrudge them the odd Astra or Polo, just the Jags and Mercs! :eek:)

J

jason fisher

I had my licence checked yesterday, the bloke turned up in a brand new astra estate and with a rather nice young lady accompanying him.

W

Wolfman Woody

You may have met Heidi then. Was she blonde-ish in her late 20s?

W

Wolfman Woody

She may have it dark now, I haven't seen her for 18 months and you know what women are like. She's the regional fisheries manager for Thames Region and often goes out (not like that..) with bailiffs and fisheries officers.

Mind you, it could also have been the bailiff's daughter or some trainee. I ask my mate week next Monday if they have new staff.

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
they`ve still got bailiffs in thames region then.I`ve seen one EA bailiff in last 6 years,at chew valley res,apparently,the ea have only got 5 bailiffs for whole of sw region.little wonder the gooks,asylum seekers can longline our local river in close season without getting caught.
As for bank maintenance,i`d have thought if the ea lease the fishing to a club,as landlords they are duty bound to ensure a decent bank to fish from.

F

Fred Bonney

I doubt very much if the EA owns any water,perhaps you,Pete,could join the club that owns the water and help keep the banks clear!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

Here's the double-whammy - you want to repair the banks of a river and make nice safe swims? You have to pay the EA for planning permission - it's about ?80 per plan.

PS - this money DOES NOT go to fisheries, btw.

J

jason fisher

some of the money went on putting salmon back in the thames this week.

W

Wolfman Woody

To be fair Jason, that's not supposed to be our money!

Money on salmon is extra money from the Government, but it's still a bloody waste anyway.

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
the EA is responsible for all man made drains fred.They are also responsible for all major rivers ,with regards to maintenance/repair of banks etc.As for joining the clubs and helping clear the banks,up until february,I was on the cttee of a local club,when we had work parties to clean up waters,only 6-10 ever turned up and 4 of us were registered disabled.The point I was making is that the EA have charged even more for rent this year(how can they charge rent if they don`t own it Fred?)yet the rivers are overgrown,banks and in the water.If you rented a house to live in,you wouldn`t expect to have to organise a work party to gain access and be able to live there would you??I think our money is going to the wrong places,IE course money subsidising game fisheries.

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
By the way fred,I am classed as severely disabled,although I`m not wheelchair bound.I always did what I could at work parties,as did the other disabled people.Up until a couple of years ago,the banks were always cleared of nettles.I don`t expect,or want, bare banksides with no vegetation,reeds ans grass can be easily dealt with when fishing,but to rent a water thats got 15 feet of 5ft high nettles for miles ,in my opinion is ripping off the anglers,as by the time the nettles have died away,the river will probably be in flood.

W

Wolfman Woody

Now you're talking a different kind of licece, Pete. The Rod Licence money goes to Fisheries Department who look after - fish - and coarse fish usually! That's about it.

The money you would be paying for a "licence to fish" (your "rent" as you call it) to the EA for a particular bit of water goes to their Estates Department. What you get for your money will be specified in the Licence contract that your club signed with them. Usually they state that the club is responsible for all bank maintenance and weed clearing (to the point I made earlier about repairs and swim building). If you have a gripe with them about the terms of the contract renegotiate it. What happens to the money you're paying for that most likely does go to pay for big posh cars.

F

Fred Bonney

Pete,thanks for pointing out you are disabled,I shall need to consider any further responses to you in particular and others on this site, who I am aware of,in a different light.
However,if the EA do own the water and if they lease it to your club,my guess is the club is responsible for keeping the banks tidy.
Any owner that does not pass on these responsibilities and carries out the work themselves would soon realise that the rent they charge is far to low!

J

John Hepworth

My club has just had to pay ?300 to clear the footpath round the stillwater we own.
Trouble is most people moan like hell but are never to be seen when work needs to be done. Unfortunately most of the committee are now at an age when getting out of bed is a struggle, never mind using strimmers, chain saw's and the like.