weigh sling

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Anybody know where I can buy a small weigh sling to weigh small fish like Dace ?

S

Shrek

I would have thought that, as it's a very smooth surfae, it would be no problem to the fish and it's scales. The safest thing, I think, would be to make sure the inside of the bag is wet. I know this may add a very slight amount of weight to the final reading (a problem if you're going down into drams) but otherwise I wouldn't have thought it mattered.

I can honestly say that I weigh all my fish using a carrier bag and have never caused any scale loss that I know of, none being left in the bag after weighing.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I would go with the carrier bag. As long as it is clean on the inside it will do no damage to the fish. Some of the cloths shops bags are best as they tend to be wider at the base supporting the fish better.

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Thanks guys. A thought has occurred to me since, a mate suggested using a Persil soap tablet bag filled with scraps of fish to attract Pike when deadbaiting. Maybe the same sort of bag could be used for weighing small fish,if they still make em.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
To small with to large a holes the fins will get caught and damaged. If you need to weigh fish that small nip down to your local jewelers and ask for one of the bags.
I so a angler once use a set of kitchen scales with a long sandwich box on for weighing small fish.

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Thanks Bryan,
After a long search I found some scales that measure in divisions of 1/4 oz so no problem there its just the container aspect.
Will try a jewellers in fact I'll anything reasonable. May even cut up my wifes tights but not while shes wearing them.

M

Monkey Magic!

Are there not any electronic kitchen scales that would suit your purpose, with a large enough bowl that you could weigh it with water,zero it, and then weigh just the Fish?.

Otherwise, the placcy bag sounds ok!.

Yorkie

Reaction score
I've always used a carrier bag for weighing small fish such as roach, dace etc. They are ideal.
Also gives the impression you are sponsored too, ie Asda,Tesco etc.

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Maybe I could get Budweiser or Fosters to sponsor me. If they give me enough beer I could wear the bag on my head when it rains.

Yorkie

Reaction score
Be careful !!!

Beware the Ann Summers carrier bags!!!

B

Budgie Burgess

One of the small carrier bags with the re inforced handles is definately the best for the smaller species.

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Yes it's the way to go. Got to remember to weigh it down between uses or it gets blown away.