PC nerds...

E

EC

PC is saying I don't have enough memory to work ms word!

95% system resources free!

I have removed and reinstalled msword!

no other applications running at the time I am trying to fire it up!

Still wont work!

Suggestions please lads/ladies?

G

Good Old Boy

If using Xp or NT it could be a corrupted local profile.

D

Danny Lancaster

Run Windows Update to check you have the latest service pack installed for microsoft office.

W

Wolfman Woody

The Word is - crap!

About time people realised it and bought a decent word processor.

E

EC

Cheers lads

windows 98
127ram
ran virus scans y'day

will try ms updates and system check online

W

Wolfman Woody

Update yourself Eddie, more RAM and XP.

What word processor? There used to be loads on the market and all of them better than MS Word. Ami and Ami Pro, WordStar 2000, and an IBM offering (forget its name, was it Write?), but the one I was sold on in 1985 and still remains the great favourite is WordPerfect.

This program has one feature that no others have and I just find indespensible - HIDDEN CODES! You can display all the codes around the text from simple BOLD to complicated ADVANCE codes and PARA controls. Remove one and the other at the opposite end of the text also disappears.

You can get rid of unwanted formatting simply without losing any of the other stuff. Simply put - it's sinply beautiful.

E

EC

Thanks monkey...I would love to upgrade but with another (pink) rug rat arriving in sept, it isnt top of my shopping list at the moment!

cheers anyways mate

EC

M

mel Crighton

Eddie,

I had the same problem, it turned out to be a virus had to restore to an earlier date, although I run Xp pro my word processor is IBM Lotus wordpro, never had a problem.

T

tom riordan

Eddie take a look at the openoffice website, you can download a full office suite for free for use with windows, it is a good office suite to use if you are not to fussy about exact microsoft office compatability. http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.2/index.html
is the download page for it. I use it on my linux box and I dont have any issues with it, so it should be bang on with the windows edition.

T

tom riordan

http://www.openoffice.org/product/ is an overview of the office suite, it might interest a few other people who might want a free office suite rather than banging out a load of money for what is essentialy bloatware from microsoft.

D

Deck Monkey

Bloatware it may be, but it is still the best office software you can buy which is why people do buy it. In droves.

There is absolutlely no need for you to buy more RAM - I ran win98 with Office 97 on 32Mb for a long time and it was fine. I put 128Mb in once I could afford the upgrade (was about 80 squids in those days!) and it ran perfectly.

Personally, I would get hold of a copy of Norton System Works 2000 (can probably pick it up for a few quid if you hunt around) and run its full suite of apps. This will clean up your regsitry (common cause of problems), optimise the disk and make sure you don't have unnescesary rubbish running in the background.

Make sure your virus definitions are up to date. If the free updates for your software have stopped and you don't want to shell out, get AVG anti virus from here. It's totally free with free updates for life. It alos scans incoming email and it is very effective. It has stopped several worm attacks on my PC.

W

Wolfman Woody

Microsoft Office "still the best office software you can buy"? It may be now, but only because most of the main competition has been blown away by low cost bundlng.

It was always known that once Bill Gates had made his billions he could reduce the price of his own software (then a back runner) to a point where no-one else could compete. This he did and many PC suppliers bundled MS software with their PCs for free or pennies. It's the only reason why it's the only suite you can get these days and his actions virtually retarded the entire software industry.

E

EC

I have AVG lads and have just done a trawl using Norton and found nowt!