eels

alan

Reaction score
a couple of quick questions, do the eels make a mess of your rigs like they do when caught in the sea? is there any way of stopping them doing it? and whats the easiest way of unhooking them?.

ive caught a few from beachs and piers and they always destroy the rigs are pigs to unhook and swallow the hooks even size 4/0's.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Alan...a big eel is capable of making a mess of anything mate, let alone a rig. It seems to be the smaller eels that make a tangled heap out of your carefully tied rigs, they seem to thrash about a lot more than a big one does, and generally twist themselves up in knots around your traces, whereas a big mother just pulls. And pulls.

As for unhooking eels, the best way is... carefully.
Keep your eyes open on the techniques page for another article on that very subject, but in the meantime, don't be tempted to wrap them in newspaper, sacking, hand cloths or whatever, that just destroys the eel's natural body slime.

If the fish has swallowed the hook, then just cut the line near the eel's mouth, it will soon get rid of it in it's own way, and very quickly.

An eel can be calmed down enough to remove the hook by simply laying it on it's back and stroking it down the body a few times, that seems to send the eel into some sort of temporary trance-like state....the time this lasts will vary according to the individual fish, but you should have ample time to remove the hook before the fish wakes up again.
Try it next time you catch an eel...it does work.

Rich

W

Wolfman Woody

Nice fish that, Richard. Good article, but I won't be taking up your tips, if you don't mind.

Your tip now on stroking their body does work. At least the lady that stroked mine got it to work on me. :eek:) It can work on perch too, turn them upside down and they are quiet for a short while.

I would guess that one of yours could be over 30 years old, what would you think?

R

Richard Huggett 1

Well thank you, you cheeky monkey you !!

I'd like to meet this lady stroker of yours...is she available for servicing, would you know ??

As for that eel...well over thirty years old mate. At the old formula of ten years age per pound weight of fish, that fish would be about 40 years old.

I could never pull like that eel did when I was 40....

T

The Monk

excellent article mate and well done with the mag, for members who don`t know Richard, apart from his vast and years of experience in eel angling, he is also the General Editor of The Eel Angler, the magazine of the European Eel Anglers Association

W

Wolfman Woody

If it what I am thinking it is, you should be a fairground attraction.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Still looking for a 30lb rod caught eel down here in NZ.........had a 26 and that was pure madness........hooked into a few fish that never even knew they were hooked LOL

R

Richard Huggett 1

Kiwi Carper...any chance of some piccies of these things for our club mag ? Or perhaps even a small article on them ?

Rich

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Richard,
I pulled a dead eel out of my local cut about five years ago.
It was 6 feet long and the girth must have been something like 10 inches, although I can't be sure of that figure.
Have you any idea how old it could have been approximately, or what it possibly weighed? I don't know how long it had been dead for. I know it caused a big fuss in my local club. I did photograph it at the time.

S

sash

Wouldn't mind seeing that photo Baz if it shows something in shot to compare length/size against.

L

Les Clark

Baz,I had one of 6 pound 6ounce back in 81,looking at the photo its 3-3.5 ft long,and about 6inch`s girth at its main body.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sash/Les,
I had somebody photograph me with it, as I was holding it by the root of its tail, its nose was touching the floor. I am 5' 11" and its tail was above my head. I will try to get the photo and have it copied.

S

sash

Bloody hell Baz, that is one monster eel. Sure someone hadn't dumped a dead conger in the canal for a laugh?

Does anyone know how long/thick Steve Terry's record was? Monk/Richard?

T

The Monk

KIWI mate, you really must write a pice for Richard for the EEAA mag

R

Richard Huggett 1

Hmm....that's an eel and a half mate. I'd guess at somewhere around the seven pound mark, depending on it's condition before it passed away. At seven pounds that fish would be about seventy years old...approx ten years per pound weight of fish is a good guidline to follow.

I'd love to see a photo of it Baz, if you find it ?
And Kiwi...you really MUST write a piece for our club mag. Monk...speak to him !! use your magical mystical powers on him..

Steve Terry's eel weighed 11lbs, which would have been around ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD !!!
I'll go though my files in a short and see if I can find it's length/girth and any other details. I know he caught it when carp fishing, on a legered lobworm in broad daylight. More info later..

R

Rod MacAskill

I don't know a great deal about eels but I would have thought a fish with a girth of 10 inches and a length of 6 foot would weigh considerably more than 7lb.

S

sash

That's exactly what I was thinking Rod, hence my question re Steve Terry's record fish as a guideline.

I know there are always rumours about dead or netted eels going well into double figures but I've never seen a photo or genuine evidence to back them up. Even my local EA guys don't have a monster on file in their survey reports.