Real stuff.versus artificial stuff

R

Richard Huggett 1

Now we have all these new artifcial baits to play with, such as plastic corn, plastic meat, and now I see even plastic bread, what's your opinion ? Have we gone too far down angling's motorway that we can't be bothered to use the real stuff anymore ? Or am I just having a Chris Yates moment ????

F

Fred Bonney

Probably,but,I've grabbed both the hemp & the spam,when in dire need for a change of tactics,both have worked for me pretty well.
Still to test fully the caster and corn versions,so,why not,every extra piece of kit to your armoury can't harm.

F

Fred Bonney

Especially if it doesn't add an extra ton for you to carry down the bank!

R

Richard Huggett 1

I've used the plastic corn...not overly impressed as yet. Stops on the hook OK, but never caught a fish yet on it.

Now, if someone could produce a plastic roach head with guts hanging out....that smelled, felt and tasted like the real thing...now that would be good.

Tony Burgess

Reaction score
Tried the corn but no joy yet but used the pellet (made it smaller though) with a g/bait feeder night fishing and had 7 carp up to 10lb and a number of bream.I am thinking about using the maggots over the weed on the drains soon.Gonna super glue some real ones to fake and critically balance them.Well i'll give it a damn good go any way.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Oh yes...I forgot about the maggots. Used them on a short{3metre}whip on the local lake to snatch out small rudd for baits...one on a size 16 hook, fished in a shower of breadcrumbs. Caught loads of the little devils, ideal for predator anglers to carry in the tacklebox.

jp

Reaction score
Well, looks like you've answered your own question Richard.

I'm not a big fan of artificial baits but I can accept that they will have their uses on occasions.

W

Wolfman Woody

Saw a load of "Catz And Dogz" bait int he tackle shop yesterday. OK, they're not artificial, but it's always worth havng a pot of them with you. Cost, slightly more than a pint of maggots and you can literally keep them years!

Artificials, not done anything on them on their own, but tip a real boilie off with plastic corn and they do well. They add a little bouyancy to the presentation.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Other than artificial flies of course, the only artificial bait I have caught fish on is a rubber caster.

I have caught trout, dace, chub, grayling, perch and minnows on artificial nymphs trotted down on the stick float in addition to the more conventional way of fly fishing.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The best I have caught on artificial are

18Ib Common on Corn
5Ib Tench on Castor
16Ib Mirror on Dog Buiscuits

I have just got the pellets will be giving them a go in the near future.

Good when the tiddlers are malling your bait.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I don't doubt that artificial baits have their place, but like everything else in angling it is not a new idea.

Has anyone ever caught fish on artificial baits at night?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I had my Carp just into darkness. It was flavoured with Scopex which is what the fish my have homed in on as opposed to the visual.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I dont like artificial baits at all.
But I suppose we could convince ourselves that anything is okay as long as it catches.

S

Shrek

I'd never thought about that either.

Ron, what patterns have you successfully used?

B

Bill Eborn

I had my first success on some artificial hempseed yesterday. I've had it for ages but never really had the confidence to use it before. I read an article a while back on a french website on using a black plastic bead on the hook when you are feeding hemp. Apparently there's been a tradition of what they call 'bead fishing' for years over there.