Linear syndicate

N

Nigel Moors 2

Is there anyone out there a member of the Guys lakes syndicate on the Linear complex? Have got my name down for membership when it becomes available and wondered how often people drop out and new members get in...

S

Stephen Bracegirdle

Hi Nigel
Been a member at Guys for two years now,can tell you it gets really busy at weekends. the membership is of around 200 but as it rolls the 12 months of the year this number can vary either way at any time.You don't say how long you've been waiting, give Roy Parsons a ring and ask him for details of your application he's a smashing fella and you never know it might hurry things up.
Steve

N

Nigel Moors 2

Haven't really been waiting that long, have lived in Stanton Harcourt for 24yrs and walked these lakes way before they were snapped up by Linear. Only put my name down in the last two weeks. I love fishing for Tench and Rudd and I know these lakes have some beauties. Not really sure that a non-carpie like me should be joining but a lot of the local lakes don't have good Tench/Rudd stocks anymore, either that or they've become carp pools. One thing I do know though is that they are the most beautifully scenic pools I've ever seen. I walk my two scraggy mutts round there at least three to four times a week, I've more than likely chattered to you at some point! Have spoken to Roy loads of times but not sure he can put a name to my face, perhaps I should talk to him and see if I can get in. Weekends being busy doesn't worry me, I work a strange shift pattern and have loads of time off in the week. It seems that almost everyone I speak to on the lakes catches 'unwelcome' Tench, do you catch many? If so what baits seem to attract them most? I'll have to sharpen up my end rig if I get in there, I tend to fish very simple running leads as I tend to use on the Thames. I expect that a lot of the Tench come out to subtle set ups that fool then don't they? Or am I barking up the wrong tree. Have so many questions to ask about the lakes like depths, bottoms and size of fish in each lake but think I've put enough in here for now! Just want to be prepared......

S

Stephen Bracegirdle

How lucky are you, living that close! I live in the Manchester area so planning trips down to Guys takes some planning/grovelling. All the lakes hold Tench, the biggest lake (unity) seems to hold the larger ones, there have been a few doubles out this year. Not to sure about the Rudd. The bottom lake (gaunts) has the island with bars running from either end, other than that it is quite uniform in it's make up, not a lot of weed. Unity is very weedy with a few more bottom features. Yeomans is the nicer of the three lakes with a fair amount of weed. Obviously a lot of the Tench are caught on carp rigs/tackle so these sort of methods would be a good place to start. If you go on to Linear web site and click for newsletter/report all the information on catches are on there.The Windrush looks good also I have seen quite a few chub around 4lbs and barbel about the same size but the roach are something else though not so many. Hope this helps.
Steve

N

Nigel Moors 2

Thanks Steve. Yes I am lucky I suppose although the wife might not think so once the chance to join comes up. It isn't cheap (my dearest club ticket is only ?25) and she won't see me for days once I get on there. Don't normally go in for intensive fishing campaigns like a 'long stay' carp anglers etc do but will have to try and step it up to justify the cost I suppose. Mind you though, when linear first took over the water having previously not been available to the public my heart sank as I hoped it would be more readily available, so just to be able to get sat on the bank in those surroundings would be nice. I sort of knew the owner before this as I worked for the company he was director of but he kept it for private trout fishing. It was him who allowed me to walk so freely around there and I suppose the water had to go to a syndicate because it is such a pretty place that some riff raff would have been attracted and devalued it a bit.
My main worry about fishing the place (and this is the reason for finding out as much as I can) is that I am not geared up for heavy monster hauling. I use general float fishing tactics and would love to use this method above all others to catch tench but fear that this won't be up to the job. That wouldn't be good for my chances and certainly not the safe and proper way to fish for them. Do you see many other species in there like Chub? was walking around last week and one of the swims at the bottom end of Yeomans (beside the track) has got quite a large shallow gravel shelf leading out into the lake and I watched a Chub of about 4lb flashing across the gravel presumably post spawn cleaning. Would love to think there is a shoal of them and get them going on the top with floating casters etc.

S

Stephen Bracegirdle

Nigel,
Living in sunny manchester,I don't get too many chances to visit,probably four or five five day trips a year and these start on sunday evenings and end friday's. During these trips I have not seen anyone fishing with the method you describe, so that could go in your favour. As regards the chub in yeomans I've heard stories but not actually seen them myself, mind you sayin that I don't always see the carp!!!
Steve

J

jason fisher

nigel it would be well worth you traveling to didcot angling center and talking to clive the shops owner on this one, he fishes it regularly mainly for carp but caught a very big tench from one of the lakes a few weeks ago by design on the float.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Jason - thanx. Probably give him a bell if I can. After you're advice on the other thread about differing Tench waters, I don't know what to do now!