coarse fisherman magazine

Peter West

Reaction score
Hello All.
I have miss lade my May addition of coarse fisherman mag looked everywhere, in it was a article on best camo clothing does anybody know what came out tops, looking for a 100% waterproof and very warm thinking of the 3/4 length shimano reatrees anybody got one.

W

Wolfman Woody

CF don't do a "best choice" with their reviews.

3/4 Jacket given at ?159.99

What is it with this camouflage stuff? We're not fighting Charlie in the Vietnam jungle. They even sell - "CAMOUFLAGED BUCKETS" now - spare me please!!!!

G

Gary Knowles 2

Actually the camo buckets are really useful for bank fishing pike anglers....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff,

Simply think back to the 70's and the ultra-cult specimen boys.

Now, simply substitute matt black everything for cammo gear.

Got it now?

b.t.w. Ron had a great idea for making a mint of money with his camouflaged toilet paper that has a picture of a carp on the outer wrapper, or Nashie or Hutchie et al.

Brilliant idea, as not only will it sell by the lorry loads but the anglers will probably loose it in the grass and have to buy even more.

There are no flies on that Mr. Clay!

W

Wolfman Woody

That's what worries me Peter. If all of this stuff is so camouflaged you might leave or lose half of your gear on the bank.

I remember Walker was always writing a being camouflaged and I worried for while that he'd have some terrible accidents. People would walk into him,. break an arm of a leg and say "Sorry mate, didn't see you."

It's not necessary!!!!! Look at Wilson wearing bright red pullovers. Fish don't see colours like we do so what's the point of camouflage? (ie: look at the colour of a tiger!)

W

Wolfman Woody

Oh, and remember that great camouflage technique from the First World War - DAZZLE!

Paintings of bridges and wild stripey zig-zag stuff on the side of ships.

L

Laurie Harper

The idea of "camouflage" always intrigues me. If you think about it, a fish looking upwards out of the water sees light and the sky. Therefore, all these dark "camo" colours are nothing of the sort. We must stand out like sore thumbs (unless we're standing in front of vegetation). We should be wearing light grey, duck-egg blue (the colour they paint the underside of aircraft), etc. Make sense to anyone?

Hutch

Reaction score
Makes sense to me Laurie, my dog can't see a cat if it is stationary in front of him, but as soon as there is movement he's off after it. Its the same with fish, movement will spook them, Camo's catching a lot of anglers though!!

W

Wolfman Woody

I agree as well. I put it Daiwa's people years ago to make a pole finished in pearlescent white rather than black. I believed that the fish would object less with something pale haning over them. Never got anywhere with it as you can see, all poles still come in black like Ron's old Model 'T'.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Wasn't it **** Walker that said the only colour fish can't see from below is white. I used to paint all my floats white with black tops on the basis that D.W. is always right. Can't be bothered now but that doesn't mean he wasn't right does it?

Matthew Black

Reaction score
I can't believe what I am about to write here but I totally agree with Jeff Woodhouse, and like floats in fishing tackle shop racks, camouflage gear catches more anglers than it ever will fish.

The whole thing has gone right OTT.

Graham, you are correct about **** Walker and fish not being able to see white from below the surface ... I have a letter written by his own hand that says exactly that.

In a conversation with Bill Makin not so long ago, he told me that when he went first into the float making business, a friend of his into scuba diving did some tests for him and white was the optimum colour to paint his new series of floats.

Trouble is, Bill wouldn't have sold many, so hence the 'Makin Greys' were born, as it's the nearest colour to white ... true story that!

Matthew Black

Reaction score
Peter West:

Ring the lovely Colleen on 0116 289 4567 and I'm sure she will send you a back-copy of the May edition of Coarse Fisherman.

Just tell her that the Denim skirt and brown shoes she is wearing with the white blouse look really great on her today!

W

Wolfman Woody

Well that's it!

I had my reminder today to renew my subscription and it's gone in the bin.

A while ago Stu Dexter (or could it have been John Wright ghost writing for him?) said they were going to improve the magazine. Many changes were in the pipeline, but from what I have seen it's still much the same. I have noticed one little change, there's more pictures of bait than ever before. If some angler says they're using sweetcorn on a size 14s do we really need a picture of it?

Ah well, must find a way of spending my ?36 a year some other way. NOT Southern Angler either.

S

sash

Exactly why I binned my renewal Jeff. The constant photo's of hemp and casters and the repetitive articles. Try Coarse Angling Today which is excellent and has a good variety of species covered.

S

Stuart Harvey

There was no letters page this month in CF this month. Any idea why? Personally I think Coarse Angling Today is the better mag. Always enjoy Phil Smiths and Stef Horaks articles. Saying that Stef hasn't had an article in there for 2 months. Hopefully he is just having a break before he gets back on the rivers.

W

Wolfman Woody

Nice suggestion Adrian, buy a BAA book. That's about ?20, but what could I do with the ?16 change. The petrol to get to a BAA water and back would cost me ?40.

AND (seriously) - I use to subscribe to Trout Fisherman, but cancelled that as I felt it was more for old trouts. (Why am I thinking of Ron Clay now?)

Who publishes Course Angling Today? If it's DHP I wouldn't buy it on principle.

S

sash

Predator Publications - James Holgate etc. Sister mag to Pike & Predator

G

Gary Knowles 2

"The idea of "camouflage" always intrigues me. If you think about it, a fish looking upwards out of the water sees light and the sky"

Laurie - it's not always the fish anglers are hiding from....

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Am I right in thinking that these new camo materials were devoloped mainly in the States for hunting where they have obvious advantages?

It strikes me that where you are fishing against a bare background as on much of the Hants.Avon for example then pale clothing must be better as you blend against the sky? I remember seeing a Matt Hayes article on bonefishing on the flats where a range of clothing along these lines, including caps, had been designed.Maybe a white t-shirt as worn by the noddies is not such a bad idea afterall.