molasses-cost

M

Martin Quadling

I am looking to get some molasses for this season,i seem to remember a mention of this being available at Jolleys pet shops but cant remember the cost,any one have any info please.

Quaddie

K

keith reid

You can buy molasses from any farm supplies shop where it, and things like flaked maize and pigmeal are pretty cheap. I paid ?4.05 for a big tub of molasses. Look in the yellow pages for your closest outlet.

C

Carp Angler

Expect to pay between ?3 and ?4 a gallon, or sometimes 5 litres.

M

Martin Quadling

Thanks for the info,much appreciated.
Hows the new toy then Rik?.

C

Carp Angler

Which one?
If you mean the Brotel, then it's an excellent bit of kit.
If you mean my new rods then mmmmmmmmmmm......
review to follow......

J

James Bradshaw

Quaddie - I buy pretty much all my ''bulk bait'' at Jolley's in Crews Hill - I get hemp, trout pellets, tiger nuts, etc by the ton... but in 10 years of shopping there, I've NEVER seen molasses, in any shape or form... I have to ''make do'' with VDE's ''Liquid Molasses''... okay, so it works great, but just out of interest... what does a ''molasse'' look like?!

M

Marker

bit more expensive than the prices quoted above,but marriages of chelmsford are doing 5 litres for ?8.45
cheers mark

M

Martin Quadling

I picked up 5 litres this week(i had to order it as there is a tendancy for the stuff to ferment in the container,so the pressure needs to be released regularly-can be messy so not normally carried at my local shop) the cost was ?7-99.
This is much better than the ?4-99 for 250ml from nutrabaits stockists.

J

john conway

Bought last week 5kg of Molasses for ?5.60 from West Cumberland Farmers (WCF) James Molasses is black treacle, very back and very sticky. Use to use it when my horse was sick and wouldn’t eat or I wanted to feed it something horrible to make it better.

R

Ron Clay

Ray Webb used to spread it on his bread and eat it!

Seriously it's a darned good ingredient to ferment with yeast and water into an excellent liquor which when distilled produces a drink similar to whisky.

It also attracts tench

I

Iain Wishart

Heh Ron, i was planning to use Molasses to catch Tench, but i can't stick a hook in it!!!!!!!
It sounds like i would be better off drinking it...whats the exact recipe for molasses liquor...hiccup :)

R

Ron Clay

I should have actually said rum. Put some molasses in a large vat, add water, yeast and a bit of sugar. It will take about 10 days to ferment. The put the liquor into a large kettle. Attach a long length of copper pipe to the spout of the kettle and then make it into a spiral which should go through a large tank of water.

As the kettle boils you should tap off the condensate at the ultimate end of the pipe. This liquid is called rum.

Cheers