Bagging Waggler

C

Craig Smith

Could anybody tell me about fishing with the bagging waggler?
Is heavy feeder rod or carp rod more suitable?
What length of hooklength is best?
What breaking strain line is suitable?

Alf James

Reaction score
There's a good article on the bagging waggler by Steve Ringer in the July edition of Match Fishing.

Steve is probably the best angler in the country on this method and the article will answer all your questions but for the record:

A 1.75lb barbel rod (Shimano Nexeave Power Barbel?) or if you're going for a really big chuck of 60 yards plus use a 2.25lb test curve carp rod (one with a bit of backbone in it, i.e. not a through actioned one).

Fish from 18 inches deep up to 5 or 6 foot deep. Will depend on the fishery and what the fish want on the day.

8lb line with the barbel rod and 10lb with the carp rod. 0.20mm to 0.25mm diameter hooklength.

Attach the bagging waggler with a safety run clip like the ones that the carp anglers use with a bolt rig.

Joskin

Reaction score
Alf has said exactly as I would have said. I use a Nash holigun 12ft 1.75tc carp rod it it is perfect for the job. Just be sure that you use some kind of safe way of attatching the baggin waggler as the last thing you want is a break off and a fish towing a huge float around, also use an attatchment that is easy to adjust the depth that you are fishing at as you will frequently need to move up and down the water throughout the days fishing.

C

Craig Smith

Thanks for the info to date, I have been told that a powergum link is best to use. I have not used these are they something you buy or something you make?
What type of graoundbait do you use in a bagging waggler, normal or method type?

Joskin

Reaction score
With regard to the ground bait I often use the normal Method mix that I have been using on the Method feeder but I add quite a bit of Crushed hemp to help the feed break up quite quickly, the hemp will float on the surface drawing the fish up further in the water. After you have had success with the baggin waggler you can try all sorts of different ground bait and experiment a bit. Allot of anglers make up there own baggin waggler mix from dry dog food etc as it can be just as effective and one hell of allot cheaper than any shop brought bait. You will get through absolutely loads of groundbait fishing the baggin waggler as you need to keep casting the waggler out every 2-3 minuets to get the fish used to hearing the splash and realising that the splash means food. When the fish finally figure this out they will soon be taking the bait almost as the waggler hits the surface.

Alf James

Reaction score
Joskin is right, you can get through absolutely loads of groundbait and at ?3-4 per 1 Kg bag in the shops it could cost you ?12-15 for groundbait alone when fishing a session. Therefore, I buy mine from the local farm shop - ground pellet is ?20 for 25Kg, brown crumb is ?11 for 20Kg and crushed hemp is ?16.50 for 20Kg.

I use a mix of 50% ground pellet, 25% brown crumb and 25% crushed hemp. Sometimes I'll put a few floating pellets or such like in the mix.

You could also try adding some vitalin after breaking it down a bit in a food processor.

I want the mix to break up fairly quickly as I'll be casting every 90 seconds or so. Once you get the fish interested the bites are almost immediate and the carp generally hook themselves. I warn you to hold onto the rod as it'll be in danger of being dragged in if you don't do so.

I've not heard of using the powergum link for this methed and I can't see what benefits it would have - you're using fairly heavy tackle for hard fighting fish. The rod, line, hooklength and hook should be sufficiently strong enough to handle the bagging waggler and the fish without the need for a "shock absorber" built into it - the natural stretch in the monofilament line should be sufficient.

C

Craig Smith

Cheers guys
I've spoken to a chap in my local tackle shop who has fished the bagging waggler on Clattercote res and has shown me the set up he used to good effect. It's a double loop like I use when feeder fishing so I'm just waiting for Fri to have a practice.

Francophil

Reaction score
I've just come back to fishing after a 35 year gap - have just seen a tv program about using bagging wagglers - can anyone send me a diagram showing me how to attach the bagging waggler with a safety run clip like the ones that the carp anglers use with a bolt rig.

Alf James

Reaction score
Francophil,

Have a look on this site:

http://www.coarsefish.com/saferigs.htm

You just substitute the lead weight for a bagging waggler and make the hooklength between 18 inches and 5 feet long depending on how the fish want it on the day. I would suggest starting with a 2.5-3 feet long hooklength, assuming the depthe is over 6ft deep. If shallower then use a shorter hooklength.

Alf

And,

brian wood 2

Reaction score
is it possible for you transmit a picture of the bagging waggler ?
i have not heard of this before.
i am going carp fishing for the first time i scotland next week .
have done a lot of course river fishing .

youre woody

Mike Norris

Reaction score
Could someone please email a diagram of how to set up a bagging waggler, step by step guide, as i have never used one, and wish to fish this method at the weekend.. many thanks mike

send it to nozandmel@msn.com