Knots for leaders

G

Gary Knowles

What is the best knot for attaching a high abrasion resistance leader (like heavy braid of quicksilver) to mono of around 15lb bs.

hopefully a nice neat one which will not damage the rod rings upon casting.

Cheers

Gary

P

Philip Inzani

Yep I would welcome recommendations on that one as well. Something fairly easy to tie and not involving three pairs of hands and both your feet at the same time would be good too!

R

Rob Brownfield

Bog standard leader knot as used by sea anglers. Tie a half hitch in the leader, pass the main line through and tie a grinner knot...wet both knots and pull up tight. Add a wee drop of glue...sorted.

G

Gary Knowles

Thanks Rob...

However I've been told of one called a Mallin or Mahlin knot which forms its own taper to ensure the knot passes through the eyes with minimal friction. anyone know of this or, even better can post a sketch ?

R

Rob Brownfield

Gary, this is roughly the same knot....but a bit more complicated to tie. Its great when using say 15-60 pound mono, but the braid does not have the bulk as 60 lb mono and will therefore not form a tapered knot. There really is no need for it.

Hope this helps

G

Gary Knowles

Rob, the braid I'm using is 100lb+ (its a bit snaggy) and I'm tying to 15/18lb mono - with this in mind do you still think it would be uneccessary

C

Carp Angler

Personally, the best knot I've found is to tie double grinners back to back.

I've tried all manner of weird and wonderful combinations which have their place when tying together lines of very different diameters, but with lines that are similar I've found that two grinners back to back (with a smothering of glue) to be the best.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Me too, I've tried them all and a double grinner is the one I go back to as the best and most reliable all-round knot for joining two lines.

G

Gary Knowles

Cheers lads - the double grinner back to back is the one I've always used. It was just that someone told me about a tapered knot that doesn't damage the rings. I think I'll stick to the double grinner. It might give me an excuse to buy new rods for DDI if I ruin them anyway !

P

Philip Inzani

....What about when the lines are of a very different diameter? I am thinking heavy shock/snag leader type situations. Would you still use it then or is there any others that you can recommend ? Ta.

R

Rob Brownfield

The double grinner is fine, I use it as well in certain situations.

Philip, I would go for the standard surfcasters knot if the water it not weedy.

Its weed round the knot that is the real problem, not the knot hitting the rings. When u think about it, a beachcaster fitted out for multiplier use j=has far smaller, and many more rings than the average carp rod, so there shouls be no probs at all with ring damage.

G

gary magee

To tie the mahon or mallin knot simply-
1 tie an ordenary overhand knot in your leader but do not close the loop.
2 pass you main line through the loop leaving yourself about 2ft.
3 next wind the main line around the leader about 10 times.
4 now wind the main line back up towards the over hand knot over your previous 10 turns.
5 now pass the end of the mainline through the loop of the over hand knot so it facing towards towards the reel.
6 now close the loop and while pulling on the end of the mainline start butting up the winds with your thumb until you are tight up against the overhand knot.
7 now tighten up and trim both tag ends leaving about 1cm.

G

gary magee

Amendment to step 4 it should read"now wind the mainline 5 times back up towards the overhand knot over your previous 10 turns.

M

Mark Frame

you can cut the tag ends close it does not need to be a cm long.thats how i tie it i found that if you leave the tags it cuts down on distance.