New World Record Common again.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
German angler Nermin Caro has once again landed the worlds biggest common at a new record weight of 87lb 3oz (39.6) kg.

Nermin caught the same fish Mary last September, despite hundreds of carp anglers fishing the same water the giant common has not been caught since.

The fight lasted 45 minutes!

Hookbait was a 15mm Dynamite baits Fluro Strawberry and Scopex Pop-up attached to the new Kryston 30lb Jackal hooklength that Nermin has been testing.

Full story on the Dynamite website.

I'll leave it to you tech types to do a link clicky thing.

Last edited:

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Hooray!

And what's his target for 2011? And 2012? ..... 2013?

Nermin is now after Joe the biggest mirror on the lake, expected to top 70lbs.

.........its not Nermins fault that Mary likes his bait...

What a bummer Jeff, two world records in two seasons :wh

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
He could always try a different lake. What about a different specie?

This is the problem with people that chase numbers, when you have caught the biggest there's ever likely to be (in the area, country, continent) where do you fish next for an adrenalin rush? Catching a smaller mirror (ugly fish) just isn't the same and there'll be little kudos in doing so, not as much anyway.

The report also read "Another World Record", which technically is incorrect. A "NEW" world record maybe, but from the same fish that provided the last world record (and quite possibly the next and the one following that). Shove another few kilos of those boilies down it's gob and ........ Yet another NEW world record.

Life get tedious, don't it? Bit like the barbel in the Ouse bit, whatever the stretch was called, for me, I'd rather go there and catch some chub, just to be different.

(I'm not doing a Ron here and name-dropping for the sake of it, but...) Peter Stone once told me the story of how he was catching so many bream from the Thames and chasing the big numbers, either heaviest catch or individual. He said that Walker took him aside one day and said "You proved you can catch bream, now try something different."

Whatever pulls your string though.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
He could always try a different lake. What about a different specie?

Your jumping to conclusions again Jeff, :eek: he fishes a whole host of waters including rivers and catches other species, Nermin and his brother Emir are very good anglers who enjoy their sport for whatever species Tuna, Cats and even Barbel. :p

This is the problem with people that chase numbers, when you have caught the biggest there's ever likely to be (in the area, country, continent) where do you fish next for an adrenalin rush? Catching a smaller mirror (ugly fish) just isn't the same and there'll be little kudos in doing so, not as much anyway.

I have a picture of Emir holding a beautiful miniature mirror about 4lb caught on new years day in the snow, his face says it all, pure bliss grinning from ear to ear. :D

The report also read "Another World Record", which technically is incorrect. A "NEW" world record maybe, but from the same fish that provided the last world record (and quite possibly the next and the one following that). Shove another few kilos of those boilies down it's gob and ........ Yet another NEW world record.

Thats a great paragraph to recruit more new members to FM Jeff, in case you didn't know more anglers fish for carp in the UK than for any other species. With comments like that little wonder there are only a handful of carpers who bother to make post on the magic these days. :eek:

Life get tedious, don't it? Bit like the barbel in the Ouse bit, whatever the stretch was called, for me, I'd rather go there and catch some chub, just to be different.

No danger there Jeff you are different. ;bp

(I'm not doing a Ron here and name-dropping for the sake of it, but...) Peter Stone once told me the story of how he was catching so many bream from the Thames and chasing the big numbers, either heaviest catch or individual. He said that Walker took him aside one day and said "You proved you can catch bream, now try something different."

You are name dropping.

Whatever pulls your string though.

As long as it doesn't get broken. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
"You proved you can catch bream, now try something different."

I 'proved' that I can catch chub and barbel from the Ribble, but I still keep going back to catch more.

Why?

BECAUSE I ENJOY DOING IT!

I don't know why you need to knock the man Geoff. He's doing what he enjoys, as I am sure you do.

You've proved you can catch fish, so why do't you take up another sport instead?

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I've read a little about this German feller before, I'd say he's a pretty fair angler.

I suppose we should just be glad that the press consider it newsworthy at all?

Although I do wonder how these record fish square with the German's rules about catch and release?

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I wish I'd caught it, and I wouldn't give a flyer what its name was.

4617626881_394fc2294e_b.jpg

(From my Flickr pages, and courtesy Dave Chilton, Kryston)

Shine

Reaction score
That is one big fish. Look at the size of that paddle. Well done Mr German Man.

I keep getting told there a fish like that in our local puddle :wh

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Well done Nermin.

Amazing fish, and for the same guy to catch it twice if so many other people fishing the venue is just fantastic, he must be doing a few things right.

That said, im partly with Jeff, sooner or later it will get caught again, and likely break the record again... theres something almost manufactured about it.

Surprised this wasnt posted in the Carp section.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You are name dropping.
No I wasn't. It just happened to have been said by a friend of mine, Peter Stone, who just happened to have been a little famous. A person is a person, some are good, some not so, but fame is loaded onto them by others. Stoney was still the simple man inside and nice person to know.
I don't know why you need to knock the man Geoff.
I'm not knocking him, but the story is not as earth shattering as was his earlier catch of the fish. It's the same fish that just eaten a little more food and grown a little fatter.
You've proved you can catch fish, so why do't you take up another sport instead?
I never wanted nor set out to "PROVE" anything about fishing, I just enjoy catching anything that swims from a 4oz dace to a double figure barbel. IS this where a lot of anglers fall down, because they want to prove something? Why not just enjoy it, like Chris Yates does, for example?

Sorry if my 'couldn't give a damn' attitude about a new world record carp upsets some insecure (;)) people, I have nothing against this Nermin chap, and as I said, if it pulls his string then good luck to him. I just don't think it's outstanding news to recapture an already world record fish and claim it again as a new world record and I thought the same about those Ouse fish, the Wanderer etc. or whatever it was called.

Just an afterthought - perhaps Walker was right to remove Clarissa from Redmire and put her in London Zoo and then that stops all of this recapture nonsense. Thinking about this Mary though, they might need a bigger tank. :)

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I don't know. To catch the same fish twice, when others are trying and failing. I think that speaks volumes about his skill.

I'm lucky. I'm not in the least competitive, indeed it discourages me, so I get joy from any fish I catch. I don't play the numbers at all....indeed the only scales I own are antiques in my collection of old tackle, but I can still feel joy for Nermin the Germin.

I wonder if he won't feel the need to go after the fish year after year, I've heard of that sort of fixation before.

Walker was clever, he could pop down to regents Park whenever he felt like it....I wonder if he ever did?

Ron?

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
Well done Nermin ......A great capture and what a great feat --- if you do decide to have a try for 'Meike' again --at a new higher weight ..Good luck to you !!

(I see it was caught on good old fluro strawberry and scopex boilies, not on sour grapes like some people use )

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
04.02 yoiks! Did you really get up at that time to put that post on Ed?

That is one seriously big fish and I too would be a proud catcher (some hopes!),

I sort of understand what you are saying Jeff but you know the BRFC rules don't ban the same fish being caught twice at a record weight or a record holder becoming the record holder with said recapture.

If a lake holds a record sized fish it is going to attract its fair share of potential record holders and it is highly probable that it will be caught at a bigger weight than previously. For that reason alone it is going to be commented on in forums such as this and become headline news in the angling press, it is the nature of the beast. It is no less a feat for all that and though some measure of luck (and a whole lot of skill) must be present for the same angler to do it, it is still worth the attention surely?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
not on sour grapes like some people use
Make you poisonous remarks Mr Bibby, if you wish, but it is not a case of sour grapes, that just shows how your mind works. Can understand you sucking up to BC though as he takes you and the other old fogies for days out. :p :D

Way I see it, it's like a headline in OK magazine - "Ed Bibby has sex with supermodel blonde sex star"

Now that is newsworthy stuff, like the original capture.

However, "Mr Bibby has sex again with same supermodel blonde sex star" and you start to think - she must be a bit of a slapper then. :D

An achievement still, maybe, but it's just not quite as newsworthy the second time around, IMHO.

Shine

Reaction score
I need to see the pictures of this supermodel blonde sex star in all her glory. 1st time and second time around. :)