F1 in London

• Thread starter Richard Huggett 1
  • Start date
R

Richard Huggett 1

Shumacher, Alonso, Coulthard, etc all stomping down through Piccadily Circus, a short pit stop round Marble Arch and then a drag race to the finishing line at Hyde Park...what do you reckon to this ?

What I want to know is : will they have to pay the London congestion charge ? And can a traffic warden run fast enough to catch them......?

The Pig

Reaction score
Driving round London,a traffic warden will be able to catch by walking...........

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Is that a traffic wardens uniform you're wearing Mel?

M

Monkey Magic!

F1 is SOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOORRRRIINNNG now!!!!!!!... had a look round the Williams Museum a couple of weeks ago, if you like F1 it's the bolocks!.... if you dont it's Torture!...

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Looks like one ......what is it ???
Bus conductor??

Railway Porter??

Car Park Attendant??

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Stupid idea. They all quote Monaco, yet it is the most mind numbingly boring GP (which says something!) where whoever gets pole and stays in front wins, just so long as the car doesn't break down.

I wish that wa..er Livingstone would concentrate on sorting more important things.

Clikfire

Reaction score
Won't happen, sounds like an April fools day hoax to me, that said I seem to remember that we had a European Grand Prix in Birmingham once or twice probably about 10 years ago.
If F1 is so boring Monkey how does it attract more spectators than almost all other sporting events 150,000+ for Silverstone, remember lots of people say fishing is boring. Stuart your right about Monaco parade.

I

I Wanna Be A Monkey Too

If that wa..er Livingstone gets his way (which he normally does) it will happen. It seems like most people are for it. I personally think it would be good to see F1s tearing around the streets of London. As long as its a one-off. :0) And not just up and down one street either!

A good course would be...... Start Park Lane down Constitution Hill, past Buck House and along The Mall. Then go round Trafalgar Square taking in 'Kens North Terrace' up Haymarket to Piccadilly Circus. Up Regent Street to Maddox Street then a nice long straight through the Grosvenors to the finish in Park Lane. Sounds good to me. Constitution Hill and The Mall would be the only realistic overtaking places, otherwise, yes, it would be like Monaco.

What happened yestreday, anyway? Was it a damp squid. I saw a news flash that it had finished early but didn't catch the report. Was it a non-event?

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Having been there yesterday I reakon they could make a London GP work. Regent Street was packed and it was very difficult to get high enough or close enough to see but the noise was greta as it bounced off the buildings. There were a lot of boos for Schumacker and cheers for Mansell and Brundell. The crowd loved it and it seemed to be a big success.

I

I Wanna Be A Monkey Too

I didn't think Schumacker was there. I thought Ferrari had thier test driver there. Perhaps thats why they were booing, they may have been expecting Schuie to put in an appearance.

So what happened then, Andy? Why did the beeb say that it finished early? Also, what was the agenda? Were they running time trails, or just cruising up and down? Was there an actual winner?

R

Right Monkey

I don;t think it is a good idea and I hope it never gets off the ground. Monaco is an exception simply because it has a tradition in motor racing. Even the Canadian GP seems boring and that's how a London one would look. It's not a matter of overtaking, where would all the spectators go. Don't forget that yesterdays event was a demonstration, but look how narrow they made that. I don't think the insurance people will let it happen either.

And why London? Why does anything major in this country have to be in London? You want a Dome - London. You want a national football stadium - shove in the worst possible place on earth to get in and out of - Wembley. Stick to Silverstone, at least it's got motor sport history.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Hmm...OK then, how about drag racing up The Embankment ?
Or better still....drag boat racing on the Thames ?

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry, don't wish to be pedantic, but 'donuts' is a crappy Yankee spelling for the term. This is Britain and it should be 'doughnuts'. Hhhhmmmmmm doughnuts..... agggggghhhhhhhh!!!!

Saw it on the TV lunchtime, what's to shout about? I agree with RM about London, why does it all have to be centred there?

Joskin

Reaction score
Im not a massive fan of F1 but I do watch the races occasionaly. If we were to have a race on the streets of London I would have thought that it would be a darn sight more dangerous for the drivers. I would also think that alot of other countrys would follow suit and try to do the same thing in their capital citys, we would then see alot more serious accidents and drivers being killed every year.

S

Stuart Harvey

F1 has been crap since fuel stops were brought in, nowadays drivers wait until the pit stops and try to make up positions whilst the other guy is being topped up with 4 star. Also the cars are too aerodynamically efficient meaning that they cannot get near enough each other to make a pass. As soon as a driver gets his front end near the bloke in front the car loses masses of grip. The only place they can get real close is at Monaco where the speeds and consequently downforce is much lower.

Ban fuel stops and reduce wings if you want proper racing back in F1.

M

Monkey Magic!

"If F1 is so boring Monkey how does it attract more spectators than almost all other sporting events 150,000+ for Silverstone".... erm... cos it only happens once a year maybe?, or.... cos massive corperations buy (or get given) thousands of tickets to give to their MD's so they can take their mates along and sit in a hospitality tent all day with a ****ing racket going on in the background!!.

still cant complain... pay's my wages!