Clattercote - help needed

Tony J 3

Reaction score
A few of us from work are making our first trip to Clattercote next week.

We have booked the pegs around 35-50

Can anyone offer advice on what we are likely to catch, tactics etc.

S

Shrek

Have a read of This report

It might go some way to helping you out.

There's also the related thread under the Match Fishing area on the forum too.

Joskin

Reaction score
The reservoir is stacked out with Carp mainly between 5 and 14lb and also has a good head of 2-4lb Tench. Method Feeder and bagging waggler are the order of the day. You will need a baitrunner, heavy feeder rod and a minimum of 6lb line if you fish the method and either a very heavy feeder rod such as a porky pig or a 1.75-2lb test curve carp rod and 8lb line on your reel if you fish the baggin waggler. Takes are savage particularly on the baggin Waggler so do not put your rod down unless you have a baitrunner.

J

jason fisher

it's no use asking this lot they had a match on it and couldn't get a bite between em.

Tony J 3

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I've never fished the method having done most of my fishing on small rivers.

Looks like I'll be paying a trip to the local tackle shop this weekend.

Are any particular baits in favour at the moment, or is it the usual pellets, sweetcorn and luncheon meat ?

Joskin

Reaction score
You can catch there on almost anything. I have honestly caught on Jelly babys at Clattercote but generally its as many maggots as I can fit on a size 12 Kamasan Animal hook. If the going is a little slow I find that dipping the maggots in somthing realy stinky like monster crab flavouring helps to get a few more bites.

Carole Brown

Reaction score
hi, where is clattercote, ive heard so much about the place but cant seem to find out where it is, also this bagging waggler how does it work ?

Joskin

Reaction score
Carole

clattercote reservoir is just outside of Banbury on the Southam road.
With regards to the bagging waggler (floating Method) it is basicly a pike float with a method feeder attatched to the bottom.

You fish it in a very similar way to the method feeder in that you recast it ever 1-3 minuets and the fish soon start to associate the huge splash that the method ball creates with food.

Tony J 3

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the advice - we had a good day out on Friday, although the fish weren't too obliging.

I had 32lb - 4 carp on the method, 2 carp off the top on bread and pellet plus 3lb of small roach and bream on maggot.

A couple of others were pursuaded to buy "bagging wagglers" and managed to catch the odd fish with them.

Everyone enjoyed the trip and we are now planning another for September.

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
Dont get carried away to much with what you here about Clattercote, I live within 15 mins of the place and believe me they are very prone to shut the shop up for no apparent reason. A lot of the local lads don't bother to much, my own little club wont book matches there any more.
But I shall be there on the big day with my half pint of maggots.

S

Steve King

The baliff at Clattercote sells baggin wagglers together with a few hooks and mini boilies for ?4