Advice on a digital camera...

T

Tony O'Dell 2

Am looking to buy a digital camera...looking for something light...compact....and not far off the 100 pounds mark...any suggestions...

T

The Monk

the technologys fantastic, for the cheaper end look at the Fuji finepix (Nikon Built), check out Jessops

S

Shrek

I've got a Fuji Finepix A210. Excellent value fo rmoney. Cost me ?115 from eBuyer.co.uk. 3.1 million pixels with 3 x optical zoom up to 5 times with digital enhancement. Nice and simple to use but with manual override options too.

B

Bill Eborn

Do any of the cheaper digitals have the capacity for taking self portraits using a remote control switch?

Clikfire

Reaction score
Tony most digital cameras are good today, remember that the bigger the numbers the better the picture. Except I suggest that you get one with an optical zoom, digital zooms are just blown up pixel size and then cut down. So your picture quality drops with each zoom level.
Try www.ebuyer.com for the best prices on all computer type stuff. They usually have a lot of cameras to choose from.

D

Deck Monkey

Amazon are doing the Sony DSC-P72 for 126 squid inc delivery. Its a run-out model. I bought mine just before xmas and its fantastic. 3.2M pixel, 3x optical zoom, B&W, Sepia, Negative and Solarise filters, full control of auto focus and ISO settings, take VGA quality video with sound...as I said, fantastic. won't get better for the money but be swift as they'll be gone soon.

For extra memory, go to 7 Day Shop as they are doing 128MB memory sticks for ?21.50 (much cheaper than anywhere else) and three packs for ?60 which is what Jessops will charge you for just one!

D

Deck Monkey

Oh, and don't go to Jessops - they're bloody expensive!

For some (slightly) smaller versions of some pictures I took on my Sony, got to my gallery pages and click on the second link down on the left. The thumbnails aren't too big but if you click on them beware - the big images are 800k scaled down from about 1.2-1.4 Mb so they take a while to download if you don't have broadband.

D

Deck Monkey

And yes, most digi cams have a self timer, although I''m not sure about an actual remote control.

Milo

Reaction score
I bought a Kodak DX6440 from PixMania.com, very happy with that and next day delivery from France!

S

Stuart Bullard 3

I would disagree with the unidentified person above. Many digi's are crap, especially at the low end, and they often drastically overstate their pixels.

Apparently its got something to do with how they are used, rather than how many - its all a load of pixels to me though.

The Fuji's are very good and got good reports in What/Which digi recently.

T

Titus Anarsus

I've had a Fuji A303 for 18 months now and it's terrific. I have a couple of spare SIMs as well, but hardly ever need to change over. No sooner do I take pictures than downlaod them to the PC and delete from the chip.

T

The Monk

Nice site deck, went digital this year, bought the cheaper Nikon D100 as a trial

Im well impressed and fully intend getting a top of the range digital soon as

W

Wolfman Woody

"its got something to do with how they are used,"

Same with everything. Just buying a top of the range Digital camera or even a film camera won't turn you into Bath It Daily overnight.

J

jason fisher

don't listen to monk he knows exactly what he's talking about, but you'd have to sell your granny to afford what he recommends,
then again sell my granny mmmmmm now that's a thought.

T

The Monk

haha, not so sure I know what I`m talking about Jason, I know what I like though

W

Wolfman Woody

Can't sell my granny, she's dead.

Her ashes are on offer though if anyone's interested.

J

jason fisher

for sale

one granny aproximately 90 years old comes with servicable black clothing, last seen carrying a large bundle of clothes down to the river to wash them.
should be perfect for lugging all those mountains of tackle that you all take (especially jeff)
undeterred by barbed wire fences or large gates.

all offers considered.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
And as with all 90 year olds never sleep and can bite your head off better than any Rottwiler i have met. But she had better come with free ear plugs or it will be ." In my Day"

T

The Monk

Nikon have recently launched the much cheaper end D70, not a bad piece of kit