Car tyres

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There used to be a good trade in old tyres being sent to places like Pakistan, where there laws are not as strict as ours. but that has been stopped and is the reason why these tyres are getting dumped all over the place.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
From our local newspaper today,

"Fire hazard of 800,000 DUMPED TYRES".

The tyres have been discovered on an 'agricultural site', and from the photograph that accompanies the article, they are all baled and stacked. Oh the poor farmer,imagine waking up to find someone had dumped 800,000 tyres on your land overnight.

The article then goes on to explain what a fire risk they present. And who will pay for the removal of the tyres, which will be a potentially massive bill.

This will be decided in the NEXT few weeks.

Matches, petrol and paper anyone.

Footnote for Ron, this is at Snaith, next village Cowick, where Barry Rickards first started fishing for tench.

S

Shrek

They could always sell them to Rugby Cement Works. They are burning tyres instead of using fossil fuels in the cement creation process. Town is split by it, but it's going ahead anyway.

T

Titus Anarsus

Good idea for them is wire them together to make pipes. Sling them into the lakes and rivers as refuges for fish to hide in from the cormorants.

W

Wolfman Woody

Oh Merv, and I thought you really liked me. :-(

Stuff the teddies, but good comment. A friend of mine runs a tyre and exhaust centre, he gets sod all for scrap tyres, but they are supposed to be disposed of properly.

M

mel crighton

And if you look closely at your bill there is a charge for Enviromental disposal of your old tyres....on my last bill it was 75p per tyre, so why are they not being properly disposed of ???????

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The problem is trying to trace the garages/firms that are dumping them.

M

mel crighton

I think that all tyres should be branded with a number, traceable,then we shall see the answer to that Baz

J

John Hepworth

In some areas of the world they are used to make artificial reefs. Create fish sanctuarys and also protect the fish stocks from the trawlers
Might not be a bad idea on some of the rivers to stop the snatchers taking migratory fish. Heard only recently that a father and son made over ?1000 from a nights poaching on my local river.

The car last sevice I paid for there was a ?10 environmental charge

R

Ron Troversial Clay

That is absolute true John.

We had this lake in SA where we dumped several hundred old car tyres and it became one of the best Largemoth bass fisheries around Joburg.

I think that a tyre must have 1.5 mm of tread on it to stay legal. In SA in the old days it had to have 2 mm of cloth left.

The law has changed however and it's more or less the same as UK. Even re-treads are banned there now.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I think the E.A. have built flood relief barriers in some places using car tyres.

M

mel crighton

Ron ..Mini tyres make good fenders for that Boat of yours......bigger ones can be shaped to make mud guards....now there's an idea.

alan

Reaction score
most of the big compaines do despose of the tyre's correctly, they pay another firm to collect them which is why they charge you. i hate to say it but round my way its the little guys that work from home that dump the tyre's and car parts.

thats right 1.6mm across the centre 3/4's of the tyre the edges have to have visable tread pattern, taxis are 2mm, and i think trucks are just visable tread pattern.

W

Wolfman Woody

"The car last sevice I paid for there was a ?10 environmental charge"

I should question those additonal charges by garages, John. Some of them are just rip-offs, like cleaning cloths. IT'S RAGGING that they get dirt cheap, someone old shirt.

The other is "Top up washer fluids" - my arse. I told them once they couldn't have got one more drop in since I checked and topped it up the night before.

A

Ashe Hurst

Ive been told that tyres are charged from 50p to ?1.00 each to be taken away.
Heres a suggestion.

collectors take tyres away to a registered site, get official DVLA or DEFRA paperwork stamped then go back to collect fees with official stamped forms to prove that the tyres have been taken to a registered dump.

no forms no pay.
Ok forgeries prob could be used but with todays technology i think this could be reduced.

New EU policy to cut landfill sites will cause more dumping. On news yesterday.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's allready a big problem in a couple of areas I know Ashe. Especially if you are a tradesman. (NO COMERCIAL WASTE)on municipal tips.
I am continually telling customers to get on to their local M.P. over taking garden waste away. I can't take it in a trailer, but it's okay for the customer to take the same rubbish to the tip in the backs of their cars.
I don't do it myself, but all it is doing is causing fly tipping as you say yourself.
I am certain there is a loop hole somewhere in the use of trades men using tipping sites.
Any suggestions?

A

Ashe Hurst

gues what.

more flytipping today. Couldnt get onto the river as there is a barrier, so they dummped it on a main rd.
Old rotten trailer, falling apart piled high with Fridges, brambles tyres etc.