cruelty to animals

The Pig

Reaction score
Just heard on the news that the governmentwant to start fining people 20 grand for cruelty to animals.

This includes worms and slugs!!!!!!!!!

Where does that leave us?

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i believe that the laws are already in place and its the penalties that are changing

but is this just what PETA have been waiting for,they'll try all kinds of things now ,i think we have just gone past the thin end of the wedge ,or maybe its not
as bad as it seems

The Pig

Reaction score
The world has gone bloody mad,well be banned from lying in our own garden shortly in case we kill any insects.

Grrrrrrrrrr......do-gooders piss me right of!!!!!!!!!

M

mel crighton

Does this mean I can no longer drown maggots for pleasure?

The Pig

Reaction score
Maggot,pleasure...........mmmmmmm theres a joke in there somewhere.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I think I'd better start learning French as a contingency plan for when the lunatics finally take control of the asylum

T

The Original Monkey With The Most Banana's

20K for every time you hook a fish, slugs and worms are animals.

T

The Original Monkey With The Most Banana's

Slugs and worms are not animals thats what i should have said.

W

Wolfman Woody

I just took this of the ITV website "But a draft Bill on the welfare of animals kept by man will be published next week"

The important words are "kept by man" so this excludes worms, snails, and I would guess, maggots. However, it is still worrying that the RSPCA officers can forcibly enter a home. Before they have required the police to be with them which is, to my mind, how it should be.

Imagine if someone doesn't like you and your dog and they maliciously report you to the RSPCA for cruelly mistreating a dog. You could return home one day to find your front door has been opened by a universal key (a sledge hammer). I'm all in favour of better treatment of animals, but I think we should be very careful about giving groups like the RSPCA extra powers. WHere will it stop - at maggots?

If this is just in the draft stage then MP can still vote against it. Why not post your MP and tell him what you think.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Slugs worms, insects and even maggots are animals abeit low down on the scale of life.

So are bacteria and in the human body, as in the bodies of all living things, bacteria are beind created and destroyed all the time.

What are the government going to do to hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and industry for killing all those googleplexes of bacteria on a hourly basis by the cruel use of steam!!!

Dig a garden and you will cut hundreds of worms in half with a spade.

J

jason fisher

you should all go out and cull everys slug you can find before this gets into law and we're not allowed to squish em anymore.

J

John Hepworth

Talking to a chap last night who said he once had a visit from the RSPCA, someone had reported him for feeding live insects, beetles and worms to his chickens, I kid you not.

J

John Lock

In the interests of kindness, and to protect myself from inadvertently falling foul of the law, I have scoured my garden today and collected a bucket full of slugs and snails. As a law-abiding citizen I shall now hand these poor creatures into my nearest RSPCA branch where, no doubt, they'll be found a good home.

D

david bruce 1

Does this mean the hospitals will not have to do anything about the bacteria that's killing people as this law will justify their neglect?

As for extra powers to the RSPCA it is another dereliction of duty by our government. The RSPCA, NSPCC AND LIFEBOAT INSTITUTE are all bodies that I respect (in the main, although they sometimes get too political or wrongly directed e.g. the satanic worship 'witch hunt'that the NSPCA persued in the Scottish Isles) but shouldn't these duties be carried out by properly constituted and accountable government bodies NOT charities with all their problems of managment by highly motivate activists and retired worthys.

J

John Lock

I laugh when stories like this break. It's Britain, it's summertime, it's (muted fanfare) the Silly Season when all newspapers prove that "YES, we can lower our standard of reporting to previously unplumbed depths of naffness".

I'm off to see plod now and confess to mass murder - my car bonnet and windscreen are splattered with the little green blobs that were my victims - I expect I'll be charged with - Er! Insecticide or possession of a WMD (Weapon of Moth Destruction) or something.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Insecticide" - like it! :eek:)

It is a worry though if the RSPCA are going to be given such powers. We had a thread on here some time ago, probably I started it, about Jackie Ballard who was quoted after the Governments ban on Hare Coarsing and deer hunting with dogs "On behalf of the RSPCA's members, I would like to unreservedly thank ministers for moving to end these vile bloodsports."

Just what does she feel about angling where she made a quote about the returning of fish similar to "... and sling them back in." And this lady is the head of the RSPCA!

Remember also - that when you catch a fish, in law it belongs to you. Does this mean that until you return it, whereupon it becomes a wild animal again, it is your pet? If so then you must ensure that you treat it well otherwise Ms Ballard is going to jump on you!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If this ever becomes law lets all go down to the maggot farm and buy a couple opf gallons. the release them back into the wild and watch the ensuing uproar.