Rod for the Hampshire Avon.

G

Hi, I'm new to coarse fishing and am interested in fishing my local river, the Hampshire Avon. I'm would like the equipment to allow me to both ledger & trot, and was wondering if one outfit fits both or would it be better to buy 2 rods. Either way, any suggestions for what type(s) of outfit would be a good fit would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joskin

Reaction score
An Avon rod would probably do it. They come in various test curves and are available with 2 top sections one quiver top and one float fishing top.

jp

Reaction score
Most of the twin tip rods sold like that don't (in my opinion) have a heavy enough quiver for fishing the Avon.You may be able to buy separate different strength quivers for them though. I usually use a 4oz quiver for chubbing and I have a barbel rod with fixed 5oz quiver.

It does depend a little on where and how you are going to fish, upstreaming you can get away with a lighter quiver.

I prefer something longer for float fishing, a standard match type float rod is OK for chubbing but a bit light for for barbel, unless you spend mega bucks on a Carbotec of course.

J

jason fisher

if you get one of the drennan rods you can get interchangeable quivers to fit it up to about 8oz.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Avon rods whilst being very popular are rather too short for float fishing on the Hampshire Avon, IMHO.

I prefer to use at least 14 feet and even upto 20 feet depending on your target species. Also, a lot depends of if you will be fishing from the bank or wading.

In the "Avon" range you have just about everything from the cheaper John Wilson Rods, through the Bob James (around 250 pounds) right upto the Carbotecs that JP mentions.
If you settle on those they will set you back around 400 pounds each, plus about 32 pounds per extra tip!
Carbotec are marketing a lovely 15 to 17 foot trotting rod that is absolutely perfect. The trouble is that is retails around 600 pounds.
Also, take a good look at the Preston versions of the Carbonactive (?) range. Quite similar to the Carbotecs but a lot cheaper.

For legering/feeder then look at the Drennan range as they make some truly terrifc rods at affordable prices, and as JF rightly says there is a comnplete range of tips.

At the end of the day it is a very personal choice based on where you will fish, what your target species are and how much you can afford.

Good luck in your search though.

R

Rog

Thanks for all your comments, they're most helpful, and the last comment really sums it up.