method feeder moulds for barbel

• Thread starter alan whittington
  • Start date
A

alan whittington

Has anyone tried using the preston type method feeders for barbel with scalded 6mm halibuts as feed in the mould,the reason i ask is the match lads suggest using 2mm's which is a little small for the venue i have in mind.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I usually use a mix of 2mm and 4mm which works fine, so I see no reason why the 6mm wont. you are just putting less out each time of course.

A

alan whittington

On the venue im thinking of using it i dont really want to feed 2mm's Mark(reasonable amount of small fish),im thinking of cutting the two central flutes out to allow the release of the 6mm pellets,as when using this feeder on shortish casts on stillwaters some pellets remained on the feeder and these were 2mm's.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Yeah had similar problems, but not on the river as the flow seems to take care of the stickers. Incidently the method is a great way to fish streamer weed just keep all the hooklink buried so nothing hangs up. I must admit I tend to use finned feeders these days. I have more confidence that the hook/bait hasn't got stuck.

A

alan whittington

Im a bit worried about finned feeders as their a bit big,as ive got to plop them into fairly shallow clear water,but we shall see.

A

alan whittington

Really Andrew,not a preston one surely?Cheers Sean,i really like the idea of the preston or garbolino moulds and feeders as the shape and form of the feed doesnt make a massive splash,probably makes a bit of difference eh.

klik2change

Reaction score
The Blessed Bob Roberts uses a method feeder on the Trent [sometimes]...

Will he reply? Not if he's not lurking, I suppose, unless he has a Bob detector....