Black sweet corn

luke vieira

Reaction score
hey,
i am going to be fishing with hemp & was thinking about using black sweet corn over the top of it, But can you get black sweet corn?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've tried it and never caught a darned thing on it whilst the other rod produced tench after tench.

No faith in it now. Can't beat good old Jolly Green Giant.

Yorkie

Reaction score
Is it the stuff marketed by Van den Eynde. I think its called Pescaviva or something like that.
If you want to use coloured corn use food colouring.
The Pescaviva stuff is wildly expensive for sweetcorn.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Yes Pescaviva, made in Italy I think, produce the black sweetcorn.

As you say Yorkie it's darned expensive.

For general baiting up you can't beat the cheap sweetcorn sold by the Netto group of supermarkets which you will always find close to the DSS. They sell cans of "baked beans" for 7p as well.

P

pedantopterix

Is the Netto stuff come in larger grains? Asda used to do this really cheapo stuff that stayed on the hook really well.

D

Deck Monkey

Has anyone tried this Mega Mais stuff? Looks like some kind of mutant sweetcorn but the kernels must well over 10mm accross. Was thinking of getting some for a session on my local club water this weekend aass corn is the best bait there but wondered if anyone had experience of it before I didved in at the deep end.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Luke, I,ve tried Black corn on the Avon with some success when trotting for chub over hemp.Its a good change bait from caster when the small stuff are a nuisance.

I used the Pescavia stuff but it is expensive. I then tried to dye my own using Richworth bait dye but whereas their red dye works really well on corn the black stuff washed out.

I think a tin of Pescavia costs about ?2.00 but if you are feeding hemp you need to feed just a few grains of corn so it lasted me a fair while.I just froze the surplus after each trip.

You could of course use tares as hookbait with hemp as feed.A classic combination for summer roach & not at all bad for chub/barbel either.

W

Wolfman Woody

What do they colour the Pescavivia with?

Is it squid ink same as they use in black pasta?

luke vieira

Reaction score
thanks all,
i might also try black pop up boiles which have been dipped in hemp oil

Joskin

Reaction score
I think that the Black Pescaviva stuff is flavoured too.

N

Nick King 2

how about using that food colouring stuff used for making cakes and icing etc....you find it in supermarkets.ive never caught a bloomin thing on black sweetcorn,choosing to use either elderberries or fake rubber hemp on the hook while throwing in a few free offerings of hemp seed when fishing for the roach at my local boating lake.many a time i`ve outfished good competant match men and pleasure fishermen using the above and a simple 4 metre whip to hand......