Which pole!!??

Paul Parsons

Reaction score
Hi All,
Well, i want to get into match fishing big time so obviously i need to buy a pole,i'm not interested in buying top notch mega bucks gear but at the same time i want something that is going to last,i have had my eye on a Mave Grimreaper 2, going by reviews etc. at ?250 you seem to get alot of pole for your money.......or am i just being blinkered here??
I have since found this site and a couple of other poles have grabbed my interest, those beaing Leeda Assassin 11 pole and Preston innovations Zyrium 12.5m pole.
Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.
I was also umming and arrring about buying second hand but am tempted to keep to new as i know there will not be any cracks or weak points in any sections.
Thanks to you all in advance
Paul

S

Shrek

Hi Paul,

There's some suggestions in this thread that might be of use to you.

Before you do buy anything though, make sure you have a chance of holding the pole(s) you are interested in at full length. The lower cost one's differ greatly in their feel at full stretch.

Joskin

Reaction score
With regards to poles you seem to get what you pay for. pay a bit more and you will get a bit better pole.
I have heard people say in the past that the grim reaper isnt very good. I havent owned one myself so I cant tell you exactly why they say that.

However I have had a Browning black Magic 2 and was realy impressed with it. it weighs only 520g at 11m and there is an extension available to take it to 12.5m. It is super slim and so it is realy comfortable to hold and is very stiff.

I would also suggest that you should look at how many top kits you will get with each pole and also how much spare top kits will cost you. You will realy need at least 5 different top kits to chose from when match fishing.

M

Mel Crighton

I bought a MAP m-sixteen 16m this has top3 kit rated at 12 and 3x power top 2 kits rated 18 , since having this i have found it a very adaptable pole and have had some good bags, this is my first pole, i tried many before settling for this, at ?350 it is a tad expensive, but it serves my needs,hope this helps.

F

Frank Hanlon

my advice is don't bother with second hand poles as every one I've ever seen has too much wear causing it too sag if you are new to match fishing & the pole then maybe you should look at an 'all-rounder type pole' so you can fish a number of venues & target different fish, do your homework with a number of tackle shops, start off at the bottom end of the market & work your way up & finally let us all know how your getting on...frank

Paul Parsons

Reaction score
Right!!...after looking at various poles and looking at my budget,i have decided to buy a Leeda Powerhouse , i don't know if anybody owns one of these i would be grateful if you could give me your opinion.
Regards
Paul

A

Albert Watkinson 2

hello paul.a friend lent me his leeda powerhouse x- rated the other day.i have not used a pole before but had several carp on it including a 10/5.main line was 6lb maxima but the elastic is a mystery to me.my friend does not take prisoners and the elastic looked very thick.it was a departure from barbel fishing and i am thinking of buying a pole.at 79 it becomes a challenge to me.yes in answer to your quetion it is a good pole for the money.?125 .albert

S

Steve Ayscough

I bought a grim reaper this summer & find it fine on the venues I fish at

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

GRIM REAPER IS A GOOD STARTING POLE JUST A TAD HEAVY AT 13 METERS THOUGH so shop around and you will find a pole to suit your budget theres lots around thesedays!