pike tackle

GIZMO

Reaction score
can anyone tell me can i use a carp rod for pike

R

Ron Troversial Clay

At a pinch you can of course use a carp rod. I have done so on many occasions.

However if you are thinking of buying a rod for general pike fishing I would pick something a little shorter - 101/2 to 11 feet long, and with a more through action.

Test Curve: (actually I dont set much store by test curves) 21/2 to 3 lbs.

In the fens I use a couple of ?40 Daiwas, 11 feet long. I have been using them for about 6 years now and really don't want anything more.

C

clicktochange

I used to use carp rods for piking, and they'll do as long as you dont over-tax 'em by trying to cast heavy baits more than quite short distances. With good technique, you'll stretch the distance out a bit. As always, practice makes perfect. It's the only way to get to get a feel for the rod's limitations.

I've got two Diaiwa "Whisker" pike rods, and 3 of the carp version. They are about ?80 each, all 12 footers, carp 2.75lb tc, pike 3lbs. The difference? The carp version has six rings, the pike has nine. The extra rings really stiffen the rod up for casting. It will really chuck out a quite heavy deadbait, though I'm from the keep it smallish school as deadbaits go.

The carp version is a really subtle tool - it's delicate and forgiving, but extremely powerful at the same time. I love them all!

C

clicktochange

Oh yeah... Diaiwa rods are 100% made in the UK - none of yer far eastern rubbish!