Ultralights rule..OK

R

Rob Brownfield

I have been toying with ultralights for a while and finally bought a Combo kit off of Harris Angling (?9.99) that contains aa hundred or so tiny Tube and Grub baits, plus jig heads etc. I loaded up a match reel with 5 pound line, stuck it on an 8 foot ultralight rod and went in search ot Perch.

First 3 fish were Jacks...all hooked in the scissors, next fish was a Perch of about 2 pounds. What a fight :) I ended up with around 40 Perch in two hours, smallest was 8 oz, average must have been about a pound. Really really good fun.....and outfished my worm fishing buddy!

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, it is. It is such a delicate way of fishing too. A wee plob as the lures hits the water...then a scream of the clutch as a Perch heads for the reeds. It is amazing how much pressure u can put on the fish too. Balanced tackle I guess.

The lures are only about 2 inches long but really do come alive in the water. Its amazing....give it a go :)

C

Chris Bishop

I've just read Rickards and Whitehead's lure fishing handbook and there's a bit on it in there. Sorely tempted.

Mind you I haven't learned to fish with more conventional lures properly yet, so I'd probably make a total pig's ear of it. I'm actually going to bait fish for the first few weeks on the rivers, haven't trotted a river for months and am really looking forward to that.

Those Harris kits are cheap though aren't they - you get loads of baits in them. How do you work them - are they hard to cast, retrieve etc or is it all straightforward..?

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, I got the Creme Combp kit from Harris. Instructions on the back. ?9.99
Includes jig heads etc. I bounced the grubs along the bottom and fished the tubes like a mini jerkbait, with tiny twitches and pauses. I was using 5 pound line and a light 7 foot spinning rod on a match reel.
Give it a go....I believe the Dutch use these lure with short quiver tip rods. Makes sense!

C

Chris Bishop

I've ordered some shads, grubs etc and plan to give them a go for the zander.

Trouble is I'm also itching to get bait fishing again when the rivers kick off.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, did u see the article by a certain Mr Brown about fishing shads in the fens. He took several Zander on them