Greys Greyflex Fly Rods

S

Shrek

There aren't any reviews on these, although there are good write up's on the GRX series, so if anyone has one of these, specifically the 8ft 6inch #5/6 weight model, I'd like to know what you think of this rod.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I have a 91/2 foot #6/7

It's a decent rod but after 5 years the corks on the handle are starting to come loose and the tip ring is grooved.

Perhaps that is what you get for less than ?100.

The blank is excellent. It's the rest that is not too good.

R

Ross Turner

I owned 2 10` 7# greyflex rods & found that they were top class rods,All greys rods come with a life time warranty so if anything does go wrong you can always claim on it by paying a shipping & handling charge of only ?15 per section.

I was so impressed with Greys rods i went & upgraded to Platinum X rods.

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
Hi Adrian, I can't comment on greys rods as i don't own one. However, i have heard conflicting opinions on build quality on other forums. If you're looking to spend ?120 on a river rod then i can recommend The daiwa lochmor z range. they don't make them anymore but you can find lots of internet bargains on this range of rods. Also the vision 3 zone 9ft 5 wt is a cracking rod at ?95. Fits nicely in the boot too.Hope some of this helps you out

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've recently aquired a Harrison 9 foot #6 in 4 pieces. It is truly one of the best fly rods I have ever owned.

The blanks are made in Liverpool (hear that Ed) and the handle and reel seat are equal to the best in the world. When I need to buy a new fly rod it will be a Harrison, make no mistake. They ARE the best British fly rods.

S

Shrek

I was looking for a river rod rather than a stillwater or reservoir rod, so was under the impression that an 8.5ft rod would be the better option, in either a #4/5 or #5/6 weight option. Do the Vision range of rods offer something in that range? They probably do so I'll go see if they've got a website then.

Can anyone else recommend something along these lines as, like I said, there ain't a lot in the review section for fly rods.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I guess it depends on what sort of river you are fishing. If I was on the Test or a fairly large Welsh Sea Trout River, a 9 to 91/2 foot rod and 6 weight line might be better. On small stream a 8 foot rod is more manageable, especially if there are lots of trees about. If you are casting short distances you may have to up your line one size to get the best out of the rod. Remember the line rating on your rod is for casting 10 yards of that weight. If you are fishing a tiny stream you may never have to aerialise more than 5 yards of fly line.

S

Shrek

Never thought about that one Ron. Having only fished stillwaters I've always been able to aerialise the amount of line required for the rod i.e. the whole 10 yards.

Definitely got more food for thought this fly fishing lark.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
With redards to rod length I use a 9 foot 5 weight on the Hodder the river averages about 10yards across. On the Ribble i use a 10 foot 7 weight as this is 20-30yards. Hope this gives you a guide.

Also the 9' makes is a lovely rod for the margins of lakes.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

A nine foot 6 weight is probably the best all round rod you can possess. Although for most of my still water fishing on the larger lakes I tend to use a 91/2 foot 7 weight for floating line work with a WF line and a 91/2 foot 8 weight for chucking real distance with an intermediate of sinking shooting head.

If the weather gets hot, you sometimes have to get down deep, and to that means long casting, especially from a boat.

I have taken several big trout this year by counting down a clear intermediate shooting head and fishing a lure such as a black and lime green woolly bugger or a Viva with a roly poly retrieve. Not pretty, and not my favourite way but it works make no mistake.

The counting down technique is quite simple. Count ten and retrieve, count 15 and retrieve, count 20 and retrieve. If you get a fish, count down the same timje and retrieve. Fish are often found at the same depth.

A

AL.

Hi again Adrian, Listen to what Ron has told you, from what i've read he's talking a lot of sense.. You only need a really short rod when casting is impaired by trees etc. Overloading by one line size is common when you can't aerialise the full 10yds. Don't be put off by it, it makes perfect sense if you sit down and think about it. Incidentally the vision range are available through www.fmtc.co.uk. I have no affiliation at all with them just passing on info. Good luck with your search.
Cheers AL.