A couple of questions

M

michael rouse

1) How long on average should my leadcore or tubing leader be?

2)How many people use the line clips on the rods and are they advisable to use with a free running rig?

C

Cakey

1) a couple of inches longer than your hook length for anti tangle purposesor longer if fishing over gravel bars etc.
2)

C

Cakey

oooops pushed wrong button

2)I use the line clips on my new rods just to keep the angles right on my swingers but yes you should try and use them on free running rigs to help you set the hook.

others will disagree !

so watch this space

J

jason fisher

lead core should be about a meter or so, tube about 3 inches longer than the hook length unless as cakey says you are fishing over bars in which case you could be using 6 foot.

i don't bother using line clips at all except for when i am fishing very tight to snags and sitting on the rods.

and i do disagree with cakey saying use em on running rigs they increase the resistance and the likely hood of the hook being dropped.

for a free running rig you want the resistance to be as constant as possible slight resistance doesn't make any difference such as in a bait runner on minimum but if it tightens up then slackens off such as being pulled out of a clip then it will be dropped.

that's my theories anyway so ner.

C

Cakey

yeah but you need that little prick to make a run.

I prefer them to run.(fish that is)

B

Big Rik

I agree with Cakey.

Give 'em free running and then let them hit the clip and let the hook point dig in, then they'll run........ sometimes....

C

Cakey

If you dont clip up would you have to hit single bleeps just in case ?

B

Big Rik

make sure your clips release and are line friendly, not all of them are.

C

Cakey

Mine are built into the rods and seem ok but I seem to remember someone having problems with the ball type.......
Was it you or Stuart ?

B

Big Rik

it was Stuart,

my balls are fine, but needed spreading slightly before use, as they are a bit tight straight from the packet........

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Cakey, you just need to play around with ya balls and adjust them now and again. Personally my balls have always released and i never have a problem. They are too attached directly to my rod!

C

Cakey

Brings tears to my eyes...............
aint got balls .....had me rod clipped

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Cakey --I'm sure Wol will let you have a play around with his ...

F

Frothey

make sure you clean your balls regularly, as any muck will surely cause problems later, especially if your lucky enough to get a hard tug......

S

Stuart Dennis 2

I had issues at one of Cakeys lakes with the ball-clips. It wasn't the pressure or the friction is was the actual balls themselves. You might want to take a piece of fine sandpaper and look to shave down any sharp lines leftover from the actual ball mould. Alternatively use ANYTHING else available to stop cracking off on vicious runs.

B

Big Rik

or don't use line that reverts back to two pieces at the slightest hint of use.

What's it called? Infinity summink....

lol

it's amazing what a 3lb carp will do to 15lb mono........