John Wilson Six Shooter

Richard Savage

Reaction score
How do you set the drag on this reel?
I tied a small lead wieght to the end of my line and held the rod up to let the lead drop and tried to tighten the star drag to stop its decent I also tried the nurled wheel on the other side, niether of these stops the lead wieght falling to the ground, it just keeps falling slowly no matter what I do, unless I jamn my thumb into the reel to stop its decent.
Any help on this matter would be gratefully received.

<?))))><.???`?.R1k?.???`?.?><((((?>

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
What you have done will not stop it. The star is your drag and the nurled wheel is the break. Set this so that when the lead hits the floor the spool stops with out a over-run.

Hope this helps

Richard Savage

Reaction score
So Bryan what you are saying is to turn the star up against the handle then slacken it off a touch to set the drag? & I have to set the nurled wheel to break the the fall of the lead/plug or lure, depending on the wieght of the lure?
So what is the other knob for, the one thats under the star?

Monk Glad you like the signature.

? ?

Richard Savage

Reaction score
So Bryan what you are saying is to turn the star up against the handle then slacken it off a touch to set the drag? & I have to set the nurled wheel to break the the fall of the lead/plug or lure, depending on the wieght of the lure?
So what is the other knob for, the one thats under the star?

Monk Glad you like the signature.

alan

Reaction score
the nob under the stardrag should be for the float in the spool. you adjust it so that the spool moves from side to side slightly, do it up tight and you will damage the reel(i did mine up, ruined the reel in a few sessions).

use the star drag like you would the clutch on a f/s reel, tighten to cast, slacken to let line out.

silly question, but when you say the lure just keeps falling are you pushing the lever/button that you press to cast?

Richard Savage

Reaction score
Alan
Thanks for the reply, No I am not pressing the lever to cast with, the lure just keeps on going slowly to the deck. Do you know what the "flipping" button is for? And why would you want the spool to move from side to side for?

alan

Reaction score
flipping button? just had a quick look at the reel on the web and it mentions magnets, is that the other button you are looking at?

the reason i was told to set the spool with a slight side to side movement was that doing it up tight puts pressure on the gearing and bearing and damages them, on my old reel (a shakespeare)by doing it up tight i stripped all the teeth on the gears.
tightening the star drag should stop the lure moving on its own.

Richard Savage

Reaction score
Alan
The button in question, if you are looking at the picture of it on this site, is set toward the rear of the reel, at the top just to the left of the handle. Hope this helps.
You would have thought that Masterline would have put instructions in the box.

alan

Reaction score
not to sure, i suspect its the magnet settings, they are supposed to help with over runs etc.

try playing with the drag and end float first.

Richard Savage

Reaction score
Alan, The Monk & Bryan Baron 2
Thanks for your time and helpful advise, as Alan said, I will have to try it on one of my local waters.
If there is anymore help and advise people can give me please dont hesitate to write.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Sorry i am late replying work nights.

The float adjustment is for aligning the spool in the centre. If it's to far one way the line will get behind and if its to tight it will ruin the reel. When the spool is in free spool ready for casting there should be about half a mill of sideways play. This is standard for all multipliers. If the reel as magnetic breaking as well then you can set the magnets on full when setting the knurled knob. When fishing if the wind is behind you. The magnets can be slacked of as the wind will keep the line flowing.
Sorry i can not help anymore as i have only seen this reel once breifly.

Richard Savage

Reaction score
Bryan Baron 2
Thanks for the info. I will try and remember all this when I try it out for the first time.

Roy Collis

Reaction score
Having recently aquired a Six Shooter reel and had my first experimental casts with it yesterday, I understand Richard's questions, but have no real answers.
The star wheel only effects the clutch on retrieve so is irrelevent to the problem of overrun(unless it is too loose). The adjusting knob under the star wheel is a cap which,even if removed, has no effect upon the drag on the spool and no effect upon end float. The thumb wheel on the other side appears to adjust the clearance between two magnets and the face of the spool. As the spool is alumium the magnets can have no obvious effect. My intimate knowledge of the construction of the reel is due to the fact that I had to virtually strip it to sort out two 'birds nests'. The only way of stopping the spool is the thumb bar which locks, down freeing the spool,until retrieve when the flipping button is set to 'off' and can be manually operated when the flipping button is 'on'. Instructions included with the reel would be invaluable! Trial and error is too expensive.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
With regards to the magnets Roy they work by creating a magnetic field and it is this that slows down the reel.

Roy Collis

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Bryan, the theory is fine but as Richard observed, it does not work in practice. It seems to me that the problem is with the material of the spool,which is aluminium, a parmagnetic material with low magnetic permiability and therefore effectively non-magnetic.
Having now tried the reel a little more seriously,I found the only way to stop overrun is by the use of the thumb bar. As with any other form of casting, it is down to timing and practice, reliance upon magnetic drag will land the users in a mess.( and possibly the reel in the drink)

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The Abu Mag's have magnetic brake control and these work fine and there spools are aluminium. I fyou have had the reel apart and not put the magnets back correctly it will not work. If i remember right they have to be repelling one another to create the field.

Roy Collis

Reaction score
The magnets were not disturbed at all. My son has the same reel which has not been taken apart and is at present unused, it has exactly the same characteristics as mine. Have you used a 'Six Shooter' and found it to work?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
No a lad from work had one seemed fine when he was using but no longer working for us so cannot get a better look. Will try and track one down to inspect.