Mail Order test

W

Wolfman Woody

I just this minute ordered a small reel from Bennetts of Sheffield. It's a little Browning and the guy was quite helpful in helping me to decide which model. The reel was competitively priced, I did compare, and there's a ?4 postage charge which for a reel is perhaps tops unless it's recorded delivery or first class letter post.

Why am I posting?

Because some of you have said before in threads how bad the mail order service is. So we'll see. I have been promised 1 week for delivery and although not in a gagging rush, it would be nice to have fairly soon. I am confident they'll come through, but I'll post again when it arrives.

S

Steve King

I used to order regularly from Bennetts ad they were always quick.

Royal Mail Parcel Force (or should that be Royal Fail Parcel Farce?!)have taken up to 3 months to deliver parcels to me and have lost around 3 or 4 others.

The postal service has got so bad nowadays that some companies have switched to using Couriers to deliver goods. I order spare parts and service items for my Land Rover from a company in Derbyshire and most stuff is delivered by ANC the next day. The longest I've had to wait is 2 days, which can't be bad!!

Hope your reel arrives soon Jeff/Cheeky/Phoenix!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck Jeff.

A number of years ago I ordered some kit from BoS and they simply could not handle the fact that although I used a UK credit card that my mailing address was in Norway.

Now, it should have been a simple matter of letting me know that they could not (or would not?) deliver to Norway.

Right?

Wrong!

They messed me around for nearly 5 weeks with constant phone calls (made be me at my expense) and then finally told me they could not deliver overseas.

Still, Foster's of Birmingham were very pleased as they got all of my custom for the next 4 years or so until I started my own tackle import/sales part time business.

W

Wolfman Woody

To answer you Graham, it was a Browning Syntec 640 baitrunner type reel and not a lot of dealers actually sell it. It's small, perhaps smaller than the Shimano 5000, but adequate for my needs. It's not in Leslies catalogue (I got it with the last Coarse Fisherman magazine I received) and I suspect that Browning is a company they might not deal with. Don't know why because Browning produce some quality items without overcharging.

Like I say, it's a test (probably arrive tomorrow now) and I'm not busting a gut for it. I know what you mean Steve and if it was important I'd even pay to have my couriers pick it up for me. The company I use has never missed a day after delivery in 13 years and once the package arrive 2 hours after I'd dropped it off even though I only paid for a next day service.

W

Wolfman Woody

You're right Graham. Time for another I think.

"Godzilla" is not an option!!!

M

Mel Crighton

Try King Without a Dong It will suit you right down to the ground no balls.

alan

Reaction score
i think bennetts uses a courier rather then royal mail(they did last time i used them).

Charlie Boy

Reaction score
I ordered some gear on a Friday from tackleshop.co.uk and I recieved it on the Monday, excellent service. Items were very competitivley priced also.

hell_mutt

Reaction score
I ordered from tackleshop.co.uk and same as above,they were lightning.I found swifty's pretty good aswell.
But i placed an order with floats-direct a month ago and they took my money but i haven't received the goods. they are not replying to any e-mails i send either.Any ideas how to deal with a situation like this?

T

THE PHOENIX

Tackleshop.co.uk no good to me. They don't do Browning stuff and only have two makes of reels.

M

michael rouse

Dont order from Leslies ,they get everything wrong.They may have a huge catalogue but they realy are pathetic.I had an argument with one of their mail order people today.I ordered a load of accessories for a solar bite indication kit.They forgot to send the stainless micra fluoro body so they thought they could get away with it through argueing.I was having none of it.A cockney nonce told me that he tool the order and wrote everything i said down. He only stoped argueing when i asked why he hadnt sent out the 4 distance swivel leads i'd asked for and instead sent out some crummy badger mack off bullet tipe thing.I also ordered some boilies....they sent the wrong flavour in the range.

Dont order from Leslies,i know i wont be doing ever again.

T

THE PHOENIX

Michael - a little geography for you. Leslies are in Luton as in the shop title "Leslies of Luton". Luton is in Befordshire and nowhere near any (stinking eal pie eating) cockneys. Now I have got to stand by the chap you spoke to and just because he speaks a lot posher than you, even with your cheshire accent, don't automatically make him a cockney. :eek:)

Have to say, I remembered buying a Maver whip from Leslies many, many, many years ago now and it came within two days and well packed. Perhaps I just had a bad experience have trudged all the way up to Luton only to be saddled with a shop assistant who couldn't care less.

Y

yoggy

oi you lot stop knocking royal mail i work for em!!!!!!!!!...GOOD LUCK JEFF.

W

Welsh Goff

Are you using the reel for feeder fishing J, if so please let me know how you get on with it.

L

Les Clark

Michael ,You wouldn`t know a cockney if you tripped over one.

T

THE PHOENIX

Nothing at all wrong with Cockneys Les. I borrowed the "stinking eal pie" from Fawlty Towers.

Goff - the idea is to use it with either an Avon or my Harrisons Chimera as a lazy barbel rod. A full blown Shimmy 6000 would look silly on it and since it's just a try, buying a Shimmy 5000 was a bit too expensive.