crayfish

Darren Lewis

Reaction score
hi guys could anyone help me i am going to fish a lake where there is a lot of crayfish if i am to catch one how do u unhook them?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Add to boiling water for 1 minute, remove shell then fry in a little chopped garlic and butter until tender.

Seriously, when i've had em in the past i just give the line a shake and they tend to drop off. Failing that hold em just behind the head and use long forceps.

Darren Lewis

Reaction score
thanks its just i never caught one before

so the crayfish dont get hooked they just hold on to your bait?

Steve Hammatt

Reaction score
Sometimes they do get hooked Darren, but it's usually somewhere on the outside of their mouths or just tangled up in their pincers.

I've had a nasty nip from a couple in the past when I've just used my fingers to extricate the hook.

Using forceps will let you get the hook out without putting your fingers at risk !

J

jason fisher

if you have hooked one and they are not just holding on. put the rod down with the cray on the floor, get your foreceps and attack the head end gently, when the cray grabs the forceps in it's pincers grab it on the carapace behind the head where the pincer arms come out.
the little bugger shouldn't be able to get you then.

Jimboy

Reaction score
swing it round and round ur head till it falls off failing that...;)

B

Budgie Burgess

"swing it round and round ur head till it falls off failing that...;)"
Superb LOL

C

Cakey

Ive found that if you zapp them with a stun gun they lay on their backs and hook out no probs

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Just stand on it and it will soon let go --if it doesn't, stand on it a little heavier till its head detaches from its body..