Shelf life boilies

T

tom riordan

It has probably been explained already on the site, so my apologies beforehand. I have just won a bag of dynamite baits marine halibut boilies in a local angling shop draw and as I have never used boilies before I was wondering how to look after the remaining boilies once I had opened the packet, do I air dry them, freeze them, or just keep them in an airtight box? How long can I expect to keep them once opened?

F

Frothey

if you got freezer space, might as well freeze them (richworth tutti's can be better after a few thaws/re-freezings) otherwise airtight box in a cool a=dark place will be fine.

T

tom riordan

Cheers for that I will freeze them. I have 5kgs of them theres millions, It will take months for me to use them up. Mind you I expect you Carp boys wouldnt take long to shift 5kgs.

T

THE PHOENIX

You didn't say it was 5kgs worth at first. You will now have to work out the space they will take up in the freezer compared to what you are going to save in the longer term.

If the bags are sealed I would just keep them in the dark. once they're opened transfer the boilies to resealable bags and always knock the air out of them. You can put a few in the freezer, but unlike Frothey I wouldn't refreeze them too often.

Another point though, they're Halibuts you say so do they have a high oil content and will that go off? If so then 6 months is the recommended maximum according to the advice on oily pellets, but 18 months might be the realistic maximum. Keep your eye on them.

T

tom riordan

I have the Boilies in a box in the garage so when I open a bag I will repot them into usable quantites and freeze them. I never had much luck with halibut pellets so maybe the boilies willl be a better bet. It came as a surprise to get that amount of boilies though, I cant even get through one of the little tins of monster crab cats and dog when I am chubbing.

F

Frothey

if you read it carefully jeff, i said richworth tutti frutti, not halibuts.....

T

THE PHOENIX

Ooooohhhhh! I am sorry.

But your message does IMPLY that because refreezing works for RTFs it could work for the halibuts.

Matter of fact, I might try them as The Source haven't exactly set the barbel on fire in the Thames. I made some boilies up once with trout pellet powdered and mixed with egg and they went down well.

R

Richard Huggett 1

I bought a shed load of the things once when I was getting interested in carp fishing. Having realised the error of my ways, these boilie things were relegated to the dark recesses of my bait fridge just as they were in the plastic bags.
That was more than five years ago....last weekend I went carp fishing and dragged them out...had five carp on them, and then got fed up catching the stupid things, so the boilies are now back in the fridge for the next five years.

I 'spose it depends on how big your shelf is....

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
stale boilies are a good cat repellent too!!!!!ive got a bag of old ones,last spring they were used to deter the local cat population from robbing a blackbird nest in my garden.by cat repellant,i dont mean spreading them around the garden,but firing them from a soft maggotpult,enough to deter the cat but not hurt it