Bubbles and bubbles....

S

sash

I was watching a number of carp early this morning (lake was as still as I've ever seen it)rolling on the surface and approximately 5 to 10 seconds later a big patch of frothy bubbles emerging in the immediate area.

Question is, are these fish inhaling air to expel something which they do on the way down as they didn't appear to be taking anything off the surface and certainly weren't crashing out as if cleaning muck out of their rakers. My mate reckoned they could be building up steam before plunging into silt pockets to get at bloodworm etc but that sounds like rubbish to me.

Any ideas?

S

sash

No-one????

Come on, I thought there were loads of experienced carpers on here?

OK, I'll make it easier. I've just bought this pike rod, do you think it will be OK for carp fishing?

;@)

Seriously though, can anyone help? Rik, Frothey, Monk?

S

sash

Don't think so Stu. There's one big rush of bubbles shortly after the roll and that's it. No more bubbling aka feeding at all. It was that calm you could have spotted anything. I just found it strange as I've never witnessed anything like it before, probably because you wouldn't see the same with a chop on the water.

F

Frothey

are there bits of leaves/twigs etc in the bubbles? if they're hitting bottom, other bits will come up.
if not, maybe balancing swim bladder? there are so many different theories, i think we'll have to ask a carp!

S

sash

No, that's why I discounted my mate's theory. Could be the swim bladder thing. Strange though that it happened 20+ times over the space of half an hour or so.

Reminds me Ed, must cut down on the vindaloo paste in my fishmeal mix!

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Silts quite heavy, which once broken up might not break the surface so it could be beds of worm or insect/fish eggs etc. It could be that they are dropping down and agressively routing around. or.......

F

Frothey

you'd see some colour/froth though, unless its really deep. also look for "boils" as the fish paddle their tails around.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Expelling air, i seen em do it when i've been out in the boat. Seen Tench do it as well as Bream too.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

That should read...

Expelling air on the way down after the roll

be it a ham, egg mayo or cheese!

S

Stuart Dennis 2

'you'd see some colour/froth though, unless its really deep' oh dear!

S

sash

Too deep for that, 8/9ft (the tails etc) and it was strange that it only happened once each time. I guess they are just expelling air but why take it in in the 1st place? Definately no insect hatches/stray mixers on the surface.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Unfortunately we'll never gonna know the answer unless we all get down to the lake and investigate buts its certainly thrown up some interesting answers so it could be:

Patches of worm
Aggressive feeding
Expelling air
Wind(1)

does the dead calm surface against air pressure bring any thought to mind?

F

Frothey

sudden drop in air pressure - do fish start rolling because the need to sort out their internals?

i aksed a carp, he said he wasnt sure....

S

sash

Oh well, it was just a thought. Ties in with the "cast to any rolling carp" scenario I guess, especially if you don't get a touch from them!

I don't know Frothey, do they? I know it can bring on feeding or knock it on the head. Does "accepted" practice suggest that it is this adjustment in digestion that stops/starts feeding? I've scanned all my books and can't really find anything apart from similar queries.

F

Frothey

you can understand how it MIGHT work.....high pressure might be a bit like having a tight belt, you feel restricted. pressure drops, the belt gets loosened do you might be more inclined to eat?

we'll never really know!