Bristol Avon

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Time after time whilst travelling on the M4 near the Chippenham junction, Ive looked over and seen this beautiful little meandering river. A real Mr Crabtree type that just screams 'fish me'. Know the one I mean?

Today I went to Chippenham and visited Premier Angling, purchased a B.B.& Wilts book and guess what? Yes, its on their book. I realise this won't be news to people that already have one of their cards but to me it was a lovely bonus.

I had a walk along there with the dog and I'm straining at the leash, it looks better close up than it does from the motorway. Full of lubbly chubbly and big barbel, just can't wait.

I'm 67 years old and I still get excited about fishing new waters. That little bubbly feeling that makes you want to go right that minute, and I'll probably lie awake half the night thinking about it. Mind you I hope this enthusiasm lasts a lot longer yet and Ill suffer the lack of sleep.

N

Nigel Moors 2

That's what it's all about isn't it? If you don't feel like that about fishing then it's time to get out.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Fished it on Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had two roach about 1.5lbs in mint condition, two good chub and an eel that bit the hook off, (it took two 10mm boilies too). Not ideal conditions at the moment obviously but I'm glad I went

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It sounds like my ideal type of river Graham, And it's good to read of someone who still has that feeling of exitement.

jp

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder how far it is to Chippenham from Hampshire.

J

jason fisher

about an hour an a half john slightly more if you stick rigidly to the speed limits, well it takes me an hour to get from didcot to christchurch, and my mate 45 minutes from didcot to chipenham, but you turn off 20 minutes before didcot.

jp

Reaction score
Are there speed limits on the roads now? I do wish people would tell me these things.

I think it takes me about 75 mins to Swindon, can't quite remember, but much as I love the H.Avon I've got to do something different soon, either the Bristol Avon or the Kennet are beckoning.

J

jason fisher

it's about 20 minutes past swindon. an i've got to admit having been to chippenham on the odd occasion there's some lovely bits of river round there

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Junction 17 for Chippenham and take the Lyneham turning off the motorway island and its 3 mile to the river at Christian Malford.

If ever you need to find out how far, as well as the best route, to a destination you've never been to, put A A route finder in your search engine. Put your start and your destination in the appropriate boxes and it will tell you the exact mileage and how long it will take you

N

Nigel Moors 2

Graham - fished this again? Am considering a visit during September. Are there any known day ticket stretches that aren't hammered? What did your BB&W tickets set you back?

Iceman

Reaction score
Been looking at Bristol Avon (trying to research on net) Chippenham AC have what looks like a considerable amount of it for ?24 a season ,also 2 lakes included .

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Day tickets are ?4 Nigel and as far as I know there aren't any restrictions on where you can fish. A good buy is a booklet with maps of how to get there and where the sections are, for all their waters, I got mine from the tackle shop in Chippenham and its only ?2. Money well spent if you intending to fish it regular.

Some of the places have very long walks from the parking areas so its best to go very light until you know the score. I intend going equipped with a rod, bait and landing net only, everything else will be in my pockets, until I know the places a bit better. Don't know how safe the parking is either but the guy at Premier Angling(01793 693460) are very helpful and I'm sure will help.

My ticket was only ?10 but thats for old farts and disabled otherwise its as above.