Big Pit reels

C

Carping Hooligan

Hi all
I've started looking at some new reels. I'm thinking about getting some Big Pits since the waters I fish a fairly big and I need to be ablr to get some long cast. Which ones can you guys recommend? Been looking at Biomaster 8000, Big Pit LC and Daiwa Emblem.
Gonna use them for carp and pike fishing.
Over here in Sweden there isn't alot of people using Big Pits so I can't get any help here.

F

Frothey

there was an article done recently where lee jackson and paul forward tested big pits against normal baitrunners, and didnt find much of a difference between casts on either. depends on your casting style, braid or mono, etcetc.
i've used emblems for years....excellent reels, any of the above reels will be a good choice.

C

Carping Hooligan

I just ordered ACF, maybe that article can help me.
Im using both braid & mono along with heavy leads.

What about the Shimano 10 000 XTE reel? Any good?

B

Big Rik

brilliant reels.

most big pits are too heavy for most carp rods and unbalance them on the cast

T

Tony O'Dell 2

I would say the 10000 XTE's are probably the best Carp reel on the market at present....more robust than the 5000/6000/8000 series...very well made...and not too heavy for a standard carp rod. The only time i use a big pit is for spodding/plumbing due to speed of retrieve.
Another very good, and in my opinion is the Big Baitrunner M ( the Big Blue )....when i tried one it was silky smooth...and cast very well......but advantage with 10000 XTE is spool capacity if you are considering boating baits out.

C

Carping Hooligan

Thanks for the help guys. I've ordered 3 10000 XTE reels :)