The Collins Affair

S

sash

What a joke. I can imagine the reaction had it been carp or roach instead. That's really going to p[ut other people off from doing the same isn't it....naughty boy, slap wrist. Disgusted by the whole thing!

S

sash

Sorry, should have perhaps been in the Preds forum, but then again perhaps this is more general.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I can't see the point in further penalising a sick 80 year old for his first offence. We're talking fish here, not humans.

I can't see the EA treating younger, fitter men with the same amount of leniency if they commit the same offence.

As for other sick 80 year old men committing the same offence. Let's get real, eh.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The only problem is this crime as cost him nothing. No punishment at all being on a list means nothing. If in a couple of years he does it again what are they goig to do then punish a 83 year old. I doubt it. I agree in that he should not have been locked up but he should of recevied a fine to replace the lost stock.

Also why is it that youngsters can get away with crime for not nowing better. Then when there old its because they now better but are to old to punnish. As the saying goes don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's okay if we assume he has more than a state pension to fund the fine.

If he offends again then yes, something more would have to be done. But I reckon the EA have done the right thing in this case.

As for him not being punished at all, then that assumes he has no sense of humiliation, not suffered any trauma at being cautioned, and feels no loss of dignity.

That can be more painful than any fine to a proud man.

S

sash

I could be wrong in this but didn't he go on record as saying he'd do it again and could see no wrong in it or was this just general gossip at the time?

I gathered from the footnote to the report that this was the FM stance on the matter (ie the right thing) but I have to disagree. Next thing it will be people getting away with taking fish for the table without a license but being let off because they're foreign, or too young, or too poor etc etc And where does it stop?

S

sash

PS Did the guy that reported him get done in the end for having his rods too far apart? Would be interesting to know...

J

jason fisher

This is absolutely disgusting, the method is illegal he knew what he was doing is wrong, being a member of the establishment he should be setting an example.
what example does this set, it's ok to set lines which indiscriminately kill wildlife.
just wait till one is pulled out with a dead greebe on the end by an RSPB member.
Then all anglers will be villified by the public for being inhumane monsters.
and who will we have to thank for it yes peter collins, he does not deserve to be an angler.
This whitewash has made me very very angry.

J

John Lock

Perter Collins 'has' lost something. His previous 'fame' as an angler/angling journalist has now turned to notoriety. Many anglers who otherwise would heve respected him will now no longer do so.
What we have here is an 80 year old man, maybe getting a bit doddery, with a bee in his bonnet about zander. Much as we anglers might decry his crime, on the scale of criminality it barely registers. An 80 year old who commits a minor crime like this is pretty much immune against the law. Fine him? Suppose he refuses to pay, are you then going to lock him up? They don't even (well hardly ever) lock up ex-nazi war criminals. I think the EA got it right. I think they were almost compelled to come to the decision they did. To have done more would have, potentially, opened the way for a lot of grief to fall on their heads - expecially if it was shown (and there are plenty of clever lawyers) that Peter's mentis wasn't fully compos.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Peter Collins in his younger days was an out and out matchman. And most matchmen truly despise predatory fish make no mistake.

In the area I live, you will have a major problem if you are seen returning any predatory species, especially a zander.

Peter Collins is only carrying on the way he was taught, right from his youth. You can't really blame him. He knows no different.

C

Chris Bishop

I'm not sure what happened to Dennis Moules - I will find out. Peter Collins was on a personal crusade, albeit a misguided one.

I'd say there are lot of other people doing this, doing far more damage to our Fenland fisheries.

I could go on all night about this but won't bore you.

C

Chris Bishop

Sorry - reading this back it ounds like i agree with it and I don't. I simply understand why the EA didn't prosecute.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Maybe Chris because of who he is and the fact that he is a very old sick man.

Maybe the stress from such a prosecution would kill him.

P

Phil Hackett 2

My view on this subject is that he should have been prosecuted under the law. Not let off by the EA. Age and ill health is no excuse under the law for breaking it. He committed knowingly a criminal act and should go to his grave with a criminal record, period!
The man has also over the last thirty years that I know of, waged a war against all predators, Mammals, birds and fish. And Yes I've got the articles he wrote in "Angling" the magazine to prove it.

Turning to the EA I think they have totally and utterly failed the predator movement in this country by this action. They IMO have sent out a very clear message that predatory fish are second-class fish and not worthy of their protection when some Old "arsohole" decides to plunder them using illegal methods. Shame on you... You spineless lot!

Whilst the EA don't seem to have a backbone and are quite ready to send mixed messages out to those ready willing and able to plunder predator stocks. I only hope there is some one out there ready to take a private prosecution out against Collins and give him the criminal record he justly deserves.
For anyone reading this who may wish to take such a prosecution out, it will cost in the region of ?1000-1500 to do this.

As for it not being in the public interest. Are predator anglers not part of that public, who pursue a fully legal pass-time using rod and line? So what about their rights and public interests then?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
As you say he broke the law and should be tried. I think its is the courts who should set a sentence to fit the crime. Not the EA who are only concerened about there image. A angler fishing with-out a licence is sent to court and on the scales this is far lower down than the devastation caused by Peter Collins.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Is it justice to show mercy to an elderly, sick man, who knowingly and intentionally broke the law? Perhaps a hefty fine might have been an option rather than imprisonment, at least justice would have been seen to have been done.

If a 30 year old immigrant had been caught doing this to feed his family would we anglers have shown as much mercy? I wonder.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
No, we probably wouldn't, and shouldn't, have shown as much mercy to any 30 year old man, immigrant or not. It's the fact that Collins is 80 years old and very ill that caused me to think the EA were right.

Or maybe it's me being too soft.

M

Mike Heylin

Welcome back Graham. Good to see you posting again.

Peter Collins has destroyed his reputation amongst a generation of anglers who knew of his work as a journalist and respected him. What greater punishment can there be than to go to your grave having destroyed all that you built up in life?

These are fish we are talking about, not children, not humans, fish. Yes, they are important, but a sense of perspective is needed on the EA action over an 80 year old, practicing what he has always preached.

The formal caution sits on the record and is as good as we are going to get. Hanging him out to dry would achieve nothing for angling or zander.

Mike