Shads

C

Chris Bishop

Just in the process of ordering some 6in shads. What's the best way to mount them for wobbling, two trebles like a dead-bait, or big jig hook..? Like the fish-friendly aspects of the latter, but wonder about hook-ups.

J

Jon Moores

Sorry Chris this doesn't answer your question, but why are they called Shads? Of all the fish they could be named after why Shad?

R

Rob Brownfield

Shad coz they are from the states and look like there Shads...

And several ways of mounting them. U can either mount them on a lead head jig, A large single hook, ot my favourite, a snap tackle. Just mount it like a wobbled dead bait and bobs ya uncle. I find the jigs for the larger shads too heavy and they bury themseves in the bottom, but on a snap tackle they have a lovely action if u twitch and sink and draw them back

Hope this helps a little

C

Chris Bishop

Cheers. Peter Waller showed me a kind of snap tackle rig he uses on his which looked the business. The only thing is everything else I've read suggests using them on a jig hook of some sort. I want to use them like wobbled deads on some quite deep waters.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris...if u are careful, u can use a wobbling pin with them, just like a deadbait.

One water i fish is about 30 feet deep...I cast out without weight and let it sink to the bottom slowly...I often get a take at about half depth...they sink with there tails waggling...very effective. I dont minf the 30 seconds or so it takes for them to get down as I can find the feeding depth this way...and just fish at that depth all the time. Well worth the effort. Also, u rarely get snagged up...and u can cast them into areas u would never throw ?15 woth of plug!

C

Chris Bishop

I've always shied away from those pins and those rigs with three or four hooks. I used to stick a couple of swan shot up the trace or a small barrel lead in the bait's throat to get it down.

Looking forward to trying it though - have you seen how cheap the shads are in the sea mags..?

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, the split shot idea works too....although it makes it dive nose first.

Have a look at the cost of leads, braid, lures, reels, swivels and trebles in the sea mags....MUCH cheaper!

C

Chris Bishop

Already a convert mate - 300yds of Fireline/Whiplash ?24.99. Haven't seen any half decent looking trebles though.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, Morecambe angling centre were selling Gamakatsus dirt cheap....brillient trebles.

Anyway, whats wrong with size 4/0 cadmium plated trebes for live baiting?..lol

C

Chris Bishop

I've taken those "sea" (plated) trebles off my lures because they aren't sharp enough, or I don't seem to be able to get them sharp. If you can't bang the hooks on a lure in, you'd stand no chance bait fishing with them.

I tried the Gammycrapshoots, sharp hooks but a bit soft. Useful around snags as you can straighten them without leaving baits tethered.

Right about that Morecombe geezer though. I got a load of braid from there a few weeks back.