Fenland Fisheries

Sean Calver

Reaction score
Why would any serious angler want to fish at Fenland?? I mean, I went there this last weekend and managed to make it until 2o'clock in the afternoon. This was as long as I could take every swim being taken, people casting all over the lake with no consideration for anyone else. Bait being thrown in like it is going out of fashion. To finish my disappointing day off of no fish, 4 japanese people came and sat two either side of me no more than a metre away from me. None of them had any idea, as with most people around the lake. Before I could get all my gear packed away they were fishing in my swim. I have previously been to this hole with water in it and had similar experiences. This was the last time I will try it.

In summery, Fenland is highly overrated, for the ammount of so called anglers that fish there, the stock of carp isn't sufficient.

Leave this POOR fishery to the novices. You have been warned.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

For goodness sake get yourself onto some proper fenland fisheries. There are hundreds of miles of fenland drain out there stuffed with fish.

Y

yoggy

sorry sean,,got to agree with Ron there,,,i personally stay clear of commercials,,but i do know the fishery you mention,,get youself on one of the 100"s of drains out there like Ron rightly said there full of fish,,"go on" get yerself some REAL fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

What Cakey? The vermin have invaded my beloved fenland?

One of the reasons I spend so much time fishing the fens is that there are few overgrown goldfish.

I must get all my pike and zander fishy friends to take a liking for goldfish!

Y

yoggy

sorry ron mate!!!!,,but just recently the drains have come alive with carp!!!!!!!!! i personally know of two 20+ pounders which were caught about 5mins away from where you were fishing in june!!!!!!!and a whooper of 37lb!!!!!!!,,about 20mins away which was caught in the last couple of weeks,,,and just in case you might be interested a tench of 7lb.14oz was banked along the 20ft only on monday morning,,,,,,,,,,see what you"re missing sean!!!!!!!

Sean Calver

Reaction score
I will be giving the drains a try. When I lived in Norflk I regularly fished the drains. Since moving I have struggled to find any good waters.

I was just trying to see if anyone has had similar experiences with this terrible fishery. I was also trying to stop anyone else going through the same.

I fancy going after some specimen carp and hadn't considered the drains. Does anyone know anything about Gerrards carp lake? somebody mentioned that to me the other day.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

7lb 14oz. That is some tench for the fens. I had one 6lbs 4 oz in June from the Nene.

These are fabulous fish I also here of bream to close om double figures coming out of the 40 foot. Fenland fishing gets better. But carp??

No way.

C

Cakey

Just watched the stocking of 200 x 5lb carp into the 40 foot

Y

yoggy

Thats a really nice tench Ron well done!!,,My Fenland drain pb is 6lb.12oz thats from the old nene i caught that last yr,,the bream are going through a boom at the minute and thats what i"m going for next week!!!!,,sean,,Gerrards Lake is in MAXEY,,havn"t fished it for a couple of years but its a nice gravel pit in peaceful surroundings,,with a nice head of carp and some decent tench to,,,but the carp are vary wary,,good luck.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Whach Part of the Old Nene do you fish Yoggy?

I fish between Benwick and March. We look for the deeper spots with plenty of lilies. It pays to drag out a spot as the weeds can be a problem. Plenty of bait in and fish from 6 am to midday. They generally feed between 8 and 11 am.

Classic fishing with float tackle. They bubble a great deal.

S

sash

Yoggy,

I think time's clouded your judgement over Gerrards mate? It's a fairly featureless 10/11 or so acre gravel pit that holds a large head of carp to high doubles and gets used for matches. Most fish are caught on bagging wagglers, method feeders and that type of stuff. As far as I know there aren't any other fish in there. There was the odd really big perch caught 10/12 years ago though....

The rest of the Maxey complex is syndicated with 2 or 3 syndicates operating across the complex. Nice surroundings and some good fish though.

Ron,
Genuine 8's and even the odd 9 being caught on the drains now and the odd bream to 12+

sssshhhhhhhh though, let's keep it quiet and peaceful

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It's great to hear that sort of news Sash.

Any big roach that you know of?

As usual I shall be piking and zandering in October.

The fens are truly fantastic. I love the peace and solitude.

F

Frothey

where d'ya think all the nene carp went when they stopped pumping warm water into the cut....

C

Chris Bishop

Sean, drop me an e-mail - I can point you at a couple of decent places on the Norfolk/Cambs border.

Y

yoggy

Ron,,i fish the same stretch as you Ron,,and the whittlesey stretch as i live there!!!!,,great fishing and definatly UNDER FISHED!!!!,,so as sash says,,,shhhhhh!!! and time must have clouded my head mate,,or there"s been some big changes??? cuz the last time i fished it i caught some really nice tench!!!! and it WASN"T syndicate!!!!!!thats the thing nowadays i suppose when i used to fish at maxey it was a "good old gravel pit" with allsorts in there but as you say sash,,,things have changed,,and if so its a shame,,regards.

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
i am wondering if the sudden appearance of large carp in some fenland drains is due to illegal imports being dumped??????

S

sash

There's been carp in the drains and Fenland rivers for years, it's just that very few people fish for them and location can be hard. For example try finding 6 fish (all over 30 by the way....) in 14 miles of drain with limited bankside and no boat access - not easy, but it has been done.

Yoggy, you must be talking about one of the other Maxey pits mate, Gerrards was like that from day 1 and has always been day ticket. A couple of the others used to be dayticket though and they are quite pretty.