Opening Day... How Did You Do?

Reaction score
Just got back from a lovely afternoon on the Teme (albeit a bit hot)...

No barbel for me but chuffed with 6 chub to 5lb.

How did you all do on opening day? :)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Hi mate, had a nice day on the colne , 4 sections of pole and light gear. 7 species I'm glad to report . roach , dace ,perch, chub, bream, gudgeon, and a fairly big bleak......
happy days..........

Stick_Float

Reaction score
Spent the day on the Colne, lovely to be back on running water again.

Started off legering for a opening day barbel before the sun broke through and had a few chubby thumps on the tip but soon switched to trotting maggots and after taking a few chublets and solitary dace I moved swims and had a cracking 4lb 6oz chub, in immaculate condition. Put up a great scrap too. I then went on to take sporadic chublets, my first bleak for donkeys and a monster pair of gudgeon before the stream of maggots drew a barbel into the swim and I was smashed up.

For last knockings I went back on the leger and eventually the 2 foot twitch came but I lifted into thin air, somehow managed to get rid of my bait!

Great to be out.

Reaction score
We had opening night on the wye , we had a few fish and my nephew pounced on my rod when i rested my eyes to catch his 1st boris .

014.jpg

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Im out tommorow morning at 3am on a private Bream lake where im a member, Bream run to a whispered 13lbs, but biggest officially recorded was just over 11lb, last year i only had them to 8.3 myself, i did lose one close in that just hung on and on, like a dead weight and it was much heavier than any Bream ive ever felt before, its hard to guess any approx weight but i would say it was over 10lb... it still bothers me now, ive been after one for 15 years... and i got within 5 feet of it (probably).

You have no idea how much i want a double figured Bream, but you will find out if ever i happen to get one :)

*Nuisance Carp run to over 30lbs... hope i dont get pestered with those, but i only had 1 Carp last year so i hope that continues*

The Piker

Reaction score
The Wye and i think all rivers could do with some rain.

The Wye is right down..

But we have had one of the driest winters on record followed by one of the driest springs..

So thats what you get....

Tight lines to one and all....:w

quickcedo

Reaction score
Managed just two hours on the Cherwell. Had one small Chub (about 2.5lb).
The interesting thing was, on a stretch about a mile and a half long there were only three of us fishing!
The levels were very low, but how good it was to be back.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Well i had 5 Bream and 1 Tench (no Eels or Carp which was really nice).

Best fish was the Tench at 4lb 6oz so it was a really poor day.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Had a lovely day on the BA, a new ticket for me so some exploring required. A bit busy by the afternoon but plenty of swim choices in the morning. Had a nice long walk to start and slowly made my way back during the day. Had some nice chub to 4lb, quite a few chublets, a couple of small roach and perch. All of the barbel swims were taken but didn't hear of any coming out. All in all a good day.

So nice to sit and hear running water again.

honslow

Reaction score
THAT photo is a classic Bob... Still wiping the tears from my eyes!!!!

Paul Ford 3

Reaction score
Fished the Dove for 5 barbel, biggest 8lb 15oz smallest 7lb 10oz, result considering the bright conditions. Glad I was able to find some shade.

Reaction score
Well it sounds like this season's 'off' is the best for a few years! Glad to hear so many success stories.

After my opening-day chub-fest on the Teme I went back Monday night to find it still carrying a tinge of colour... and being very generous.

In three hours I had one modest 3lb chub and 7 barbel to 10lb 2oz.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/members/****y-angling-trust-pac--albums-river-magic-picture2000-teme-10lb-2oz-june-2010.jpg

Whether they fish well or not, small rivers look at their best this time of year...

Makes you feel glad to be alive :)

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Fished the Dove for 5 barbel, biggest 8lb 15oz smallest 7lb 10oz, result considering the bright conditions. Glad I was able to find some shade.

Great fishing Tony, as you say shade is key this time of year when the sun is at its brightest for both angler and fish!