Nuts to 'em

M

MattyB

Just returned from a three day fishing trip for carp on a very pressurized water in Essex. The fishing was tough with only one other angler catching a 2lb fish all morning so I tried a bizarre bait that I'd seen talked about in a carp mag; brazil nuts. You chop the top and bottom off scraping off all of the brown skin. Once drilled and hair rigged they make a lovely looking oily bait which sends lovely slicks up to the surface. I fished them very tight to a bush in the near margin and had six fish to nearly 20lbs while all other anglers on boilies blanked. Anyone else had such good results from unusual baits. I am re thinking my boilie and pellet approach?

M

MattyB

When cut and skinned they seemed to sink v slowly as free offerings. I guess the hook and hookling weight gave them neutral density or a slight pop effect. Tehy really were dynamite on the day with runs happening usually within 10 mins.

F

Frothey

i only asked because it might've been that the fish wanted it popped up 8" or whatever.
well done for re-discovering them.....they're a bit expensive to pre-bait with though! hazlenuts are worth a look as well....;)
cakey did a season a year or so ago, using only particles....had one of his best years i seem to recall.

C

Cakey

I did .....but I didnt try any nuts apart from tigers...............the problem with nuts is they fill the fish up so they stop feeding,then we bait up again,and in the mean time they have poo'ed the nuts out so now there is twice as many nuts on the bottom to fill the fish up.
tigers take about four goes before being digested.............dont know about brazil nuts
also all nuts need to be prepared properly

PTnymph

Reaction score
Yes all nuts need to be prepared properly. God know how many carp anglers or anglers fail to see this. One time on my local water going back a few years we were allowed to used Tiger nuts and one day it was banned because a few large carp died while having some untreat or not prepared nuts.

C

Cakey

I would think the best thing to do with brazil nuts is to mince them up and put em in your loose feed as an attractor..............far safer